10 gallon igloo DIY mash tun leaks like crazy!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
I'm totally frustrated and not really sure how to proceed. I have this Igloo Cooler and was following this DIY plan.

Obviously the cooler the DIY author uses is the yellow and mine is orange. The hole seems too big to only be using 3/8" supplies.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make this work?

Check out this video for a list of parts and sizes. It'll vary depending on the tube ur using but everything going thru the wall to the valve should be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed the same directions and used an orange igloo cooler with great results. My guess is that you are missing the 5/8 ID rubber grommet that needs to fit in to hold the 3/8 fittings.

The hole in my cooler is 7/8 in diameter.The pipe nipple is 5/8. Eyeballing the pics in the rubber made thread that hole is smaller.

GenIke said:
The hole in my cooler is 7/8 in diameter.The pipe nipple is 5/8. Eyeballing the pics in the rubber made thread that hole is smaller.

Yep. The rubber grommet needs the inner diameter of 5/8. I misspoke earlier. It will perfectly fit the diameter of the 7/8 spout hole and the 5/8 pipe nipple and stop the leaking. I had a hard time finding one, but my local ace hardware finally had it. The Rubbermaid does not need this grommet because it already has one.

Yep. The rubber grommet needs the inner diameter of 5/8. I misspoke earlier. It will perfectly fit the diameter of the 7/8 spout hole and the 5/8 pipe nipple and stop the leaking. I had a hard time finding one, but my local ace hardware finally had it. The Rubbermaid does not need this grommet because it already has one.

I must have missed the hyperlink in the DIY page. I totally missed that. That piece would definitely help.

I'll report back after a trip to Menards.

I'll post this here since there's no since in creating another thread:

[vent]

If I ever meet anybody that recorded a "look how fast, easy, and leak free it is" mash tun video, I'm punching 'em in the mouth. It's certainly my fault as I have virtually no DIY skills (I blame my genes).

Home Depot didn't have anything smaller than a 1/2" ball valve so I had to get a bushing to make the connection to my 3/8" nipple. That, and my lack of decent set of damn wrenches, has made life difficult!

[/rant]

Back