Blueberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slippery

Reaction score
Just brewed my PM wheat tonight and going to try adding blueberries to this one and see how it turns out.
My plan is 2 weeks primary , rack on top of 5 lbs. fresh/frozen/ thawed blueberries for 5 -10 days tasting daily as not
To get to much berry flavor. When I rack to bottling bucket might add small amount of BB extract. Bottle condition for
3 weeks. Whats your thoughts? Any advise ? I'd like subtle BB flavor with not much color change ??

Some say sanitize the berries before freezing, just dunk em in starsan. Another option is to pasteurize t o kill any nasties. Or just risk an infection and thro em in.
Assuming a 5 gal batch 1# per gallon will not yield much blueberry flavor; some say its un identifiable. But it sounds like this is what you are going for, so do it. you can always add more flavor with extract before bottling as you mentioned. Keep us posted

1# per gallon is my constant. I do a lot of off the wall fruit and such beers. Get mostly aroma and a light flvor ib the finished product

Ostomo517 said:
1# per gallon is my constant. I do a lot of off the wall fruit and such beers. Get mostly aroma and a light flvor ib the finished product

Ostomo, is this constant for all fruits or just blueberries? I've heard different amounts for different fruits

Ostomo, is this constant for all fruits or just blueberries? I've heard different amounts for different fruits

I use it for all, but it also depends if its particularly weak or potent. I guess now being winter there are some weak frozen blueberries out there so I guess more than 1# a gal makes sense

Well the beer has been on the berries for 5 days now.... The fermentation picked backed Up with the added sugars but have seemed to shut back down.
Tasted it today and it seems awesome. Nice blue tint , with just nose of fresh blueberries. I have heard that the flavor and aroma of the fruit will diminish after the
Rest in the bottles. Should I leave it on the berries for a bit longer ?

Well the beer has been on the berries for 5 days now.... The fermentation picked backed Up with the added sugars but have seemed to shut back down.
Tasted it today and it seems awesome. Nice blue tint , with just nose of fresh blueberries. I have heard that the flavor and aroma of the fruit will diminish after the
Rest in the bottles. Should I leave it on the berries for a bit longer ?

Id say two weeks I have a pineapple DIPA thats been on the fruit a week, gonna rack at two weeks let settle out another week then bottle

Any advise on racking this carboy with 5 lbs of BB floating on top ? Will cold crashing make the berries sink back to the bottom?
Just wondering if you have any advise since this is my first fruit beer .
Thanks

I dont think that will make them sink. When I did a beer with puree of tomatoes in it pieces of the skin were floating in a layer on top. I just racked with auto siphon as usual with no problems they will just end up on the bottom with the rest of the trub.

Back