New Orleans Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For food- K-Paul's and Commander's are classics. Big fan of breakfast at Cafe Du Monde. BBQ Oysters @ Drago's are incredible.

As for brews, not a ton to write about when I was last there. Try a Sazerac, they're pretty awesome.

Coops Place on Decatur. Get the rabbit jamabalaya and a Abita Restoration Pale Ale.

Craft beer scene is not big down there. It's more quantity than quality when it comes to beer there. I do enjoy Abita when I'm there though.

Check out the Avenue Pub on St. Charles Ave,, it's the best place for craft beer in the city that I've found while traveling there on business. The Bulldog on Magazine St is also pretty cool, not quite the selection that Avenue has but still good place to have a pint or 6

Let's see if I remember what I did down there.

There's a BBQ place called the Joint that's not too bad. Ate there when I moved my brother and sister in law down there.

I'm not a seafood person so I can't really recommend too many places but the places of names I remember that I enjoyed ,Acme Oyster, everyone I was with seemed to like the oysters, I had a roast beef sandwich that was great. Johnny's Po Boys, was really close to our hotel, good little place. Crescent City Brewhouse, not a bad little brewpub. Rehersal dinner was there so I can't comment on the food normally, but I enjoyed the beer.

I drank a lot that week though. So I can't tell you the places I went at night, but I drank a lot of rum drinks. Figured when in Rome.

I second everything above. I don't know how old you are, but The Bulldog is a young college crowd. Lager's International Ale House is better for my age (45). Real good beer selection. The Irish House on St. Charles is nice. Cresent City Brewhouse. Mortons Steak House on Canal St, Deanies Seafood on Conti St. Go to The Brass Monkey and get some monkey nuts. I don't make it downtown too often, but there is a million places to eat in and around the french quarter. I highly reccomend using the buddy system, especially when it's dark. The main reason I don't go downtown, not because I don't have any buddies it's just because New Orleans is a violent city.

Visit Brewstock for brewing supplies. Aaron, the owner is awesome. Visit Pirates Alley and if you get a chance take a haunted history tour.

Sweet awesome advice! I'm 30yrs old and going for a bachelor party so there will be a few of us. Ill make sure we travel in a group or take a cab.

We were on St Charles a few months back for a wedding. Then on to the Aquarium of the Americas. Didn't spend a lot of time in the Quarter, but it didn't seem any more hazardous then when we lived down there years ago.

We did go drink at Lagers in Metairie. Great selection of Louisiana beers on tap and bottle. Good vibe.

Cafe du Monde as has been mentioned. There is a beer store almost across the road from it that is pretty cool, hit it every trip. You can buy some really good beer, get a to go cup or whatever and drink it as you walk around doing French Quarter stuff... your cup gets empty, you return to beer store... rinse, repeat... I went through several barleywines and doppelbocks like that one day :drunk: it was a good day...

I think the place is called Sidney's

+1 to avenue pub.

Parasol's bar - awesome neighborhood bar in the garden district badass po'boys.

NOLA brewery does brewery tours.
Google the homebrew shop there website has info on different tasting going on in the city.
Hit bourbon st. during the day, but the bars on Frenchman st. has more locals and better music/bands and less touristy, defiantly use buddy system, no worst than any other large city but just keeps your wits about you.
Take a cab to and from Jake and Snakes bar (awesome late night dive bar!)
Dick & Jenny's restaurant.

Back