What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may not be the worst craft beer, but maybe the most disappointing:

Almost everything by Sea Dog brewery

They recently opened a brewery in the Tampa Bay area and I went to enjoy a couple flights, excited to try it off the tap and something other than the Blueberry ale... other than their hazelnut porter and monkey fist (which was ok), everything else was very mediocre at best.

On another note, as craft brews grow in popularity I believe that Sea Dog falls in the category of craft brewers that have sold out. It's sad to see, but I feel like many start relying on marketing rather than the quality and "word of mouth" aspect of their products.

Ill hold you to that when I go to NOLA in the fall.:D Could have been that over processed water they have out there. I like my NC mountain creek water. But ill try it again and ill use your parking trick thanks for the tip!

Not promising you all too much, but the ones I've had were drinkable.

Then again my girlfriend has been pointing out to me that sometimes I am too nice to beers. For instance last night I tried what she was drinking and nearly wanted to spit it out. Before telling me what it was she had me try it again and asked me what I thought it was. It was Stella, a beer I considered a decent drinking beer if nothing good was available.

I just remember it being boring and falling flat. Like they only added hops at the beginning of the boil.

I wonder if you got a bad or old bottle. They are in my neck of the woods and I consider this to be a great beer. If not, to each their own of course.

(In regards to Lagunitas IPA)

I do think I want to try one though. It may suck, but at least I know. I think that is also the lure of the maple bacon beer too that basically tops this list!

Thats what sucked me in to try the maple bacon last night. Thought i was getting a deal from the bar, took one sip, and realized why it was so cheap...man o man, that was something...

Just saw Goose Island at Kroger yesterday, but considering what everyone has been saying I think I might be careful.

Got some Alaskan Amber Ale though (supposedly Alt-style), not sure what to think of it. Very strong apple flavor, but in a clean way.

Just saw Goose Island at Kroger yesterday, but considering what everyone has been saying I think I might be careful.

Got some Alaskan Amber Ale though (supposedly Alt-style), not sure what to think of it. Very strong apple flavor, but in a clean way.

They for sure aren't the worst craft brew. Them being owned by AnBev throws everyone against them for some reason. In my eyes they just have a better distribution now and kicks money upstairs to the big guy. Now they aren't amazing, blow your mind out of your head beer, but definitely not bad. Check em out, and judge them on the quality of the brew and not who they are partially owned by. Founders is owned by em partially, are their beers bad? There are tons of awesome craft beers owned by them. The Belgian addition like Sophie and Pepe Nero are some good stuff. The IPA is alright. Not a fan of 312 but if you like wheats you'll like it.

They for sure aren't the worst craft brew. Them being owned by AnBev throws everyone against them for some reason. In my eyes they just have a better distribution now and kicks money upstairs to the big guy. Now they aren't amazing, blow your mind out of your head beer, but definitely not bad. Check em out, and judge them on the quality of the brew and not who they are partially owned by. Founders is owned by em partially, are their beers bad? There are tons of awesome craft beers owned by them. The Belgian addition like Sophie and Pepe Nero are some good stuff. The IPA is alright. Not a fan of 312 but if you like wheats you'll like it.

I agree that GI is good, and I'd argue great, especially if you try their Belgians. Also, I'd say most of the world considers Bourbon County beers to be world class (Stout, King Henry). They are blow your mind beers.

AND why do you think Founder's is owned partially by AB-inbev? I've never heard that and can't find it online??

Founders is not partially owned by AB

Abita Strawberry Lager... Blech

+1...I bought a couple of singles because a friend insisted it was good. It tasted like bad artificial strawberry extract flavoring. There was nothing natural about it. Friend says that the batches are a little different each year because strawberry harvests can be different. I'm not buying it. This beer is garbage.

Grittys in Portland Maine makes a bunch of great beers, what they have dubbed "Maines Best IPA" on the other hand is not one of them. It's boring, barely hoppy, not the "right" hops, and comes across the palate somewhere between astringent and chewing on a banana peel...it's pretty gross and Grittys irritates the hell out of me for actually naming it "Maines Best IPA"

Calvary Marauder IPA... where the *&%$ are the hops? How can you call this mess an IPA?
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23122/68270

I'm still sticking with this one. If you don't live in CT, you probably won't ever have the misfortune of trying this disaster.

The real reason I'm quoting myself here is because I realized I forgot to mention that, after trying one of their other (more palatable) brews, I wrote them with a brewer question regarding their level of carbonation. No response.

So, they're a local brewery, making garbage beer and they don't even have the courtesy to reply to emails from local people interested in their technique/process.

If not for that, I'd still buy their IPA to showcase it as a joke to my friends.

Abita Strawberry Lager... Blech

The north shore breweries love the strawberry beers. Heiner has one too, it is equally terrible. Heiner Kolsch on the other hand is pretty good if I remember correctly (so was the Pontchartrain Pilsner, which is called Covington Pontchartrain Pilsner, but they and Heiner are the same brewery).

gometz said:
Saw an oyster beer somewhere once (Abita brewery maybe?) and just had 0 interest in trying it. Then again I rarely try beers with fruits in them at all.

Abita's oyster stout was pretty damn good IMO, and I'm not usually an Abita or oyster fan. The recipe was actually made by a homebrewer with the help of our LHBS owner. The guy won a competition and Abita made his beer.

gometz said:
The one in NOLA is not as bad as you describe, maybe it's the brew master at fault? (I've noticed something similar with BJ's, some of them have decent beer, others have utter ****).

Even if you don't like the beer, in NOLA there's a nice trick that you can park in the Harrah's parking garage for free with a purchase at Gordon Biersch. So what I normally do is get a beer to drink while walking through the French Quarter.

Yeah, I like Gordo Biersch's beers. I never bought one on location though. i get their party packs at the store whenever I can.

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA

i couldn't stand the stuff, i had to pour it out, so did my neighbor, we both thought our bottles tested like B.O. and perfume. my neighbor even said something like dog ass.. i didnt ask how he knew what that tasted like.. i just walked away..

i like Stones other beers, but i dont how this one got past the beer police, just bad.

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA

i couldn't stand the stuff, i had to pour it out, so did my neighbor, we both thought our bottles tested like B.O. and perfume. my neighbor even said something like dog ass.. i didnt ask how he what that tasted like.. i just walked away..

i like Stones other beers, but i dont how this one got past the beer police, just bad.

I'm with you on this one. Big disappointment.

Theres a local brew pub here in Alberta that has a house ale so bad it gives me flashbacks to my mom trying to wash my mouth out with soap when I was a kid. I hope for the breweries sake they accidentally kegged it, without rinsing out the kegs after washing. Disgusting.

I thought the 16th was pretty good. I found a huge forward lemon taste to it.

Really wish I could say the same, because I love Stone. Lucky for me I had a friend to share it with me so I didn't feel obligated to finish all 22 oz.

Green Flash Rayon Vert is another that surprised me with how much I didn't like it. It's been a while so I can't remember exactly what it was about it that I didn't like, but it didn't go down well at all. I would like to think it was a bad bottle but it was so bad that I've had no interest in giving it a second chance.

Have not had it yet, hopefully its on tap tonight at the place I work at, but Excelsior Brewing (local place here in MN) is giving us a keg of their Cherry Wheat. Only pre posting it on here cause all I am thinking about is it is going to be like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, thus making it quite horrid. Hope it proves me wrong.

Swarley88 said:
Have not had it yet, hopefully its on tap tonight at the place I work at, but Excelsior Brewing (local place here in MN) is giving us a keg of their Cherry Wheat. Only pre posting it on here cause all I am thinking about is it is going to be like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, thus making it quite horrid. Hope it proves me wrong.

Good luck! While not a wheat I do like Cerise by Founders. It showed me it was possible to have a good cherry beer after swearing them off thanks to a SA Cherry Wheat assault.

I personally think a good deal of it is influenced by hatred for AB. I'm not saying Goose Island is the best thing out there, but I've never had one of their beers that was bad or anywhere near something I'd include in a list of worst craft beer. I guarantee there were people drinking it just fine up until the moment they learned of the ownership shift and then immediately said they could taste the difference.

I simply said it was all mediocre...which it is, akin to Sam Adams. Forgettable may be a better term I guess. I never tried goose until this year ( got it from our AB sales rep) and each one was just...meh

Good luck! While not a wheat I do like Cerise by Founders. It showed me it was possible to have a good cherry beer after swearing them off thanks to a SA Cherry Wheat assault.

Haha good news, not a cherry wheat. It's just a hefe. And it is quite awesome.

I didn't have an answer to this question until a few weeks a go. I had a Schell's Goosetown. I could not have more than a couple drinks of that. Never again.

Hm, I always liked Purple Haze, for what it was. Not over the top fruity, in my opinion. Have you tried Shadow's Wild Black (or any of the fruity beers in that line)? That one I gave to my wife to drink, she doesn't like beer, but it tastes like beer with koolaid powder mixed in.

Hm, I always liked Purple Haze, for what it was. Not over the top fruity, in my opinion. Have you tried Shadow's Wild Black (or any of the fruity beers in that line)? That one I gave to my wife to drink, she doesn't like beer, but it tastes like beer with koolaid powder mixed in.

I know a lot of folks who love the Purple Haze.

Not I sir.

To be fair I'm not much for fruit beers anyways. I've had a few that were palatable but not many.

Actually the only fruit beers I ever seem to actually "like" are ones made by homebrewers.

That reminds me...Just saw the DFH is making a Grateful Dead beer...with granola. Might have some raisins or something in it. Should be interesting.

BinghamtonEd said:
That reminds me...Just saw the DFH is making a Grateful Dead beer...with granola. Might have some raisins or something in it. Should be interesting.

I'm sure it will be malt heavy and under attenuated like the rest of their disgusting beer.

bottlebomber said:
I'm sure it will be malt heavy and under attenuated like the rest of their disgusting beer.
Oh, I'd be willing to bet all my possessions on that being true. That description is spot on for all their beer.

I had it on tap and thought it was incredible - best IPA I've ever had, but I'm not a real fan of the unbalanced bitter I get in most IPA's.

For worst, I'd probably have to go with the Kirkland craft beer assortment-especially the IPA!

Man I almost bought a case. Thanks!

Back