Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most responses are positive and I never mind those. But definitely the most annoying is ".....interesting" while giving me an odd look. I don't know why that annoys me but it it does. And I get that response quite a bit

"It tastes like beer" by my girlfriend to every beer I have made.. Guess its a compliment, sort of!

My wife won't taste my beer, as she doesn't drink beer. Also not a compliment... And I got the "it tastes like beer" when I brought home some Redstone sparkling raspberry mead for her, and when I had her taste some Apfelwein I made... I'm not sure where that comment came from!

I have a friend who calls my homebrew (and all craft beer) "Yuppie Beer". I find that humorous because I picture most of you guys on this site as being Harley riding guys with beards, who make a living making stuff with your hands and enjoy fabricating brew stands in your garages, etc.

The irony is that I'm sure you Harley riding guys would consider me to be a "Yuppie".

or living in a tent and trying talk people into letting me ferment beer in their basement or garage.

Same front on the girlfriend. I am actually supposed to be clean shaven for work, so I shave every once in a while or when fit testing comes about. At those times she gets sad and makes me wait until the last minute.

Fit testing, huh? For a full face respirator? What do you do for a living?

"Can you send me some?"

Suuuurrre, home brewing is free and it's not like shipping beer costs me anything. If I sent beer to everyone who asks I'd be $100s in the hole right now.

I guess one of the best responses I got was from my neighbor when she asked what I was doing--I was brewing, of course. I offered her a beer, which she declined. She said, "A friend gave me some homemade Amoretto. I'm not really into it. Would you like it?"

Explained that I brew, offered a beer and instead got a nice bottle of Amoretto for deserts and coffee--yum.

One other nice exchange: a local liquor store owner has offered to trade product with me if I bring him some of my beer to try.

"Your that much of an alcoholic?!"

Then once explained its a hobby and im one of 5 people in the house drinking it, plus how much cheaper i can make my own for....

"Gotcha!.....*walks away wondering wtf just happened*"

.....On another case though.

Neighbor popped over the fence one day and saw my 10gal pot on the burner...
"Deep frying a turkey?!?"

"No, I make my own beer"

"WHAT!? Thats AWESOME!!"

Its just what state of mind your in at the time or how you were brought up IMO
If your mother was one of those people telling you to not touch the man yelling "Jesus is alive!!" outside shoprite, or had the mother that gave you a couple cents to give to the guy.

Frige said:
I dont really consider myself a beernerd more of a seat of the pants brewer. I do this for the simple enjoyment, not trying to impress anyone.

Most of the dumb questions I'm fine with. My college fraternity brothers still revere Natty Light - although i think its nostalgia at this point.

Its the rude/arrogant comments that get under my skin. Most of those come from the bearknurd community. I think it's the delivery for me and not the content.

"You realize this beer isn't good because it doesn't use cascade?"

"Pumps will just ruin beer - you wasted your money"

Any lecture on glass vs. plastic vs. buckets

Most of the folks in Pittsburgh are pretty damn cool. Polite, give constructive criticism well (how would we get better otherwise?), etc. The moonshine comments usually come from college neighbors, to which I reply "are you 21 yet? Want a beer?"

"In the driveway?!? You're not afraid of getting caught? You must have pretty cool neighbors."

"Wow! This is ACTUALLY pretty good!"

"How much to make some for my party and what can you make?"

"Thanks. It's decent but I prefer Old Milwaukee." (Actual word for word quote. I almost fell over.)

But mostly:
"That's freakin' cool!!!! What do you have? Can I try it?"

Lol!

My absolute favorite comment is: do you make it in your bath tub? My (insert family member here) says that it's always made like that. I try to educate them on how it's actually done, but by the time I finish, their eyes are glazed over, and the conversation changes to a new topic.

My absolute favorite comment is: do you make it in your bath tub? My (insert family member here) says that it's always made like that. I try to educate them on how it's actually done, but by the time I finish, their eyes are glazed over, and the conversation changes to a new topic.

My family extended or otherwise have seen fermenters on shelf s, in fridges, chest freezers, etc. for the last 20 years or so they know better then that. Hell my wife will correct guys talking sh#t at LBS or whatnot's, I smile move over and listen to her. (sigh, I'm so proud here I thought she has been tuning me out a guess repetition wins out):mug:

I have a friend who calls my homebrew (and all craft beer) "Yuppie Beer". I find that humorous because I picture most of you guys on this site as being Harley riding guys with beards, who make a living making stuff with your hands and enjoy fabricating brew stands in your garages, etc.

The irony is that I'm sure you Harley riding guys would consider me to be a "Yuppie".

I thought this comment was pretty funny, because most of the bikers in my area are kind-of yuppies. They buy the expensive Harley bike, buy the expensive Harley brand leather jacket, put stickers on their truck that say "Harley Davidson" which they drive more than they ride their bike. I saw a guy the other day with a leather Hard Rock Cafe jacket, which is about as "Hard Rock" as Starbucks.

Neighbor's not really a yuppie per say (no leather gear) but he has a 98 heritage classic and looked and it has 1397 miles most of his rides are to the Lowes about 1 1/2 miles round trip. He was talking about going to a bike night at the Sonic 3 miles from here didn't end up going as it got late and he doesn't like riding at night. I gave mine up as the wife HATED it. (worth it in the long run for me:D)

More than a few times I've gotten the "oh, my (insert old relative) used to make beer in the bath tub."

unionrdr said:
We have a lot of those around here. They all go to Quaker Steak & lube for the bike nights in warm weather.

We just had a QS $ L open up here a few months back, next door to a Harley Davidson dealership! Lol

When people ask me about how I try to keep is short and sweet.

Soak the cracked grains in water at a certain temperature to allow the starch to become sugars, bring it to a boil, add hops for bittering, aroma and taste, cool quickly and add yeast. After the yeast finishes turning the sugar into alcohol and co2 either bottle or keg. Then it is beer.

They seem to appreciate the cliffs notes versions and do not glaze over as much. I usually follow it up with an offer to join me next brew day if they would like, but warn them that it takes a fair bit of time.

i was pouring my kolsch this weekend at a public tasting event. got lots of nice feedback, many people liked my kolsch because it wasn't as "intense" as the other brews.

fav comment: "wow! don't take this the wrong way, but for me this is a total 'beer pong' beer!"

uh, thanks. i think.

i get that BMC drinkers do not understand beer, so when i offer BMC peeps a beer i preface it with, "you may not like it and that's ok."
i explain what's in it BRIEFLY and how it's supposed to taste.
i always have some BMC on hand for guests
this past weekend motivated me to make the miller lite clone in the light hybrid section. i plan to up the grain bill 25% and slightly up the hops. not much though.
i want to make a gateway beer for my BMC friends and acquaintances.

I find that blonde ales work well... even my BMC-fan Dad loved it. At least, I think he did.. he cleaned out most of my batch one night..

Of course, I didn't have any Silver Bullet on had that night, so... :fro:

An acquaintance is a self-described beer critic (who I've mentioned previously in this thread), only he doesn't know much about beer. And certainly not much about brewing. He really questioned me on the sanitation (second time in a week he's done this). Now I really don't feel like sharing that IIPA I had been promising him. ;)

i was pouring my kolsch this weekend at a public tasting event. got lots of nice feedback, many people liked my kolsch because it wasn't as "intense" as the other brews.

fav comment: "wow! don't take this the wrong way, but for me this is a total 'beer pong' beer!"

uh, thanks. i think.

I like that one too. Just tell him we call those "session beers" now.

An acquaintance is a self-described beer critic (who I've mentioned previously in this thread), only he doesn't know much about beer. And certainly not much about brewing. He really questioned me on the sanitation (second time in a week he's done this). Now I really don't feel like sharing that IIPA I had been promising him. ;)

I found most of the complaints in this thread to be quite petty, but this one would really piss me off. I HATE no-it-alls, especially stupid ones.

Nothing annoying at all,
the usual response is "That's awesome!" or "how long have you been doing that for?"
I guess the only slightly interesting one i got once was "can't you only brew the dark stuff?"

T-Shirt idea:

Yes, I homebrew

Yes, it's legal

Yes, it tastes good

Yes, you can have some if you're nice :)
For beginners can we change it to :

"Yes, it tastes good (most of the time)"
(I have made some bad beers, I admit)

My favorite one to date is..."I don't drink anything but miller lite. Can you make that?"
Thats when I smile and say "sure, I piss at least 7 times per day."

Brew on bros and sis'.

Cheers!

Back