Well, that sucked...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
Went to transfer a porter that has been fermenting for 2 weeks from a carboy to a bottling bucket since I'm adding some toasted coconut to it. Get it all transferred just fine and slap the lid on it. As I'm putting the bucket back into the fermentation chamber, I notice it is leaking very slowly from where the spigot is connected, which it wasn't leaking earlier when I checked it before transferring. Had to transfer it out of the bottling bucket to another container, tighten the crap out of the spigot and then transfer it back into the bottling bucket. So, now this beer has been transferred 3 times. I'll be damned surprised if it's doesn't turn out oxidized. I transferred it slowly and carefully, so hopefully the oxidation will be minimized. Won't tell for another week. If it does turn out, I'll be naming this one Fiasco Coconut Porter...

Happens to the worst of us. It'll be just fine. If you're like me, it won't hang around long enough for off flavors to develop anyway.

Cheers

All of the spigots I have bought for buckets have ended up leaking. I either transfer to a carboy for aging now or just straight into the keg.

Back