Avery homebrew recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still working on the efficiencies of my system, but I am thinking the Beer Smith software will help figure out the actual grain weights

I am still working on the efficiencies of my system, but I am thinking the Beer Smith software will help figure out the actual grain weights

Definitely. Enter your expected efficiency and set the grain percentages and then adjust the gravity to what it should be. Beersmith will calculate the grains necessary to hit that gravity with your setup.

So with regards to the hops issue on these recipes. For The Reverend if I multiply each addition by 2.5 I get to the right amount. Is it reasonable to scale it this way?

Thanks
Ayup!

So with regards to the hops issue on these recipes. For The Reverend if I multiply each addition by 2.5 I get to the right amount. Is it reasonable to scale it this way?

Thanks
Ayup!

No, that is not at all reasonable. I've brewed that beer twice now and used the amount listed for a 5gal batch. If you want to go up to 12.5 gal, then yes, up the hops and malts by 2.5. Are you verifying your IBUs with a brew calculator?

I put 2.5 times the quantity into beer smith and it gave me about 24 IBU with the amounts stated it only gives 9.6, any ideas? Thanks

I put 2.5 times the quantity into beer smith and it gave me about 24 IBU with the amounts stated it only gives 9.6, any ideas? Thanks

How much water are you boiling with? I forgot to take that into account. If you're doing extract or partial mash without doing a full boil, then yes, you will need to adjust your hops accordingly.:mug:

If you're doing a full boil, then I don't know what's going on there because I remember when I did mine, the hops were fairly close.

I have it all set up in Beer Smith according to my Brewhouse equipment with an efficiency of 72.5%.

Here is my recipe and process if you think you can spot something causing the low hop value please let me know, thanks.

14lb pale malt (2 row) Bel -82.5%
9.2oz aromatic malt - 3.4%
4.8oz Cara-20 - 1.8%
4.8oz Cara-45 - 1.8%
4.8oz special B malt - 1.8oz

1lb candi sugar (dark) - 5.9%
0.5lb candi sugar (clear) - 2.9%

0.35oz sterling (6%) 60mins - 5.8 IBU's
0.28oz sterling (6%) 30mins - 3.6 IBU's
0.86oz sterling (6%) 1min - 0.6 IBU's

Wyeast 3787 (2.5L starter - stirred)

OG: 1.092
IBU: 10 (Should be 24 according to their website beer page)
Color: 30
ABV: 10%

Mash in with 20 qt water@167°F (60mins)
Mash out with 7qt water@210°F (10mins)
Fly sparge with 5.5qt water@168 (30mins)
Grain absorption = 1.86G
Pre boil volume = 6.25G
Boil time = 60mins
Post boil volume = 5.25G
Post cooling volume = 5G

Found the problem.

Quick Overview
This Quadrupel contains as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as the brewers could cram into their mash tun, as well as lots of Belgian dark candy sugar stirred into the brew kettle. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complemented by an underlying spiciness and a finish that is Sinfully smooth! Cellarable for 4 years. ABV: 10.00%; IBU's: 10.

Cool.

So you got that from your own computer records? You think they have it wrong on the current site? Or you reckon they have changed the recipe? How did it turn out for you as a 10 IBU beer? And while I'm asking all these questions.. how did your versions of this turn out? Any changes or tips...?

Brewing this up as my 1st all grain at the weekend, yes I know jumping in at the deep end, but I feel fairly confident, but will gladly take some advice since you have actually done this one a couple times...

Thanks
Julian

My first one was a little sweet - it didn't attenuate enough. My second one, I used yeast nutrient and it dropped a few points more than the other. I did mine as an extract, but if you're going AG, mash low and long so you get good attenuation.

My second one I secondaried with oak chips and cherry puree. I think that added a nice touch, similar to Boulevard's bourbon barrel quad.

I was thinking of mashing at 155 to keep the final gravity around 1.018 as listed on the recipe....I will see how it turns out I guess.

Wow, I need to not go by memory. I was thinking the FG was supposed to be MUCH lower than that. I must be getting old...

Bringing an old thread from the dead. Avery has since changed their website and I can't find the homebrew recipes anymore. So I downloaded them from the internet archive website and saved it as a PDF.

PDF contains recipes for the following:

IPA
White Rascal Belgian Wheat
Ellie's Brown Ale
Out of Bounds Stout
Joe's Pilsner
Hog Heaven Dry-Hopped Barleywine Style Ale
The Reverend Belgian Style Quadruple Ale
Salvation Belgian Golden Ale
New World Porter
Karma Belgian Pale Ale
Old Jubilation Ale