Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My $0.02...

There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on stocking up grains. There also seemed to be a fair amount of excitement about the overall size of the order. Perhaps a few folks got over extended and couldn't back themselves out when all was said and done. Hell, for all we know, some one's in the hospital or has lost Internet access or whatever.

I'm sure it's a giant pain in the ass for those managing the buy, but having 3 or 4 guys bail doesn't kill the buy, just slows it down a little. (I may be way out of line with that statement.) We can all pretty much guarantee that the splits will get picked up by someone, right guys?

In the possible solutions dept, how about requiring some type of confirmation of commitment during the open buy period. Either via email or through the Group Buy tool. That won't solve the problem completely but it should help identify potential problems/ slackers.

My $0.02...

There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on stocking up grains. There also seemed to be a fair amount of excitement about the overall size of the order. Perhaps a few folks got over extended and couldn't back themselves out when all was said and done. Hell, for all we know, some one's in the hospital or has lost Internet access or whatever.

I'm sure it's a giant pain in the ass for those managing the buy, but having 3 or 4 guys bail doesn't kill the buy, just slows it down a little. (I may be way out of line with that statement.) We can all pretty much guarantee that the splits will get picked up by someone, right guys?

In the possible solutions dept, how about requiring some type of confirmation of commitment during the open buy period. Either via email or through the Group Buy tool. That won't solve the problem completely but it should help identify potential problems/ slackers.

when we start dropping sacks then the shipping costs go up for everyone else. it's too much of a hassle to recalculate the new shipping costs then have everybody re-submit payment to cover he additional costs. granted, a few sacks for this large of a buy is negligible for each individual respectively, it does add up when the paying party has to make it up. Ideally, everybody pays for what they ordered. Period.

When it closes, instead of going straight to payment, you could request everyone to confirm their order, either through the website or an email with a link...I realize adding another step is rarely ideal, but neither are the no-shows.

For those of us who are attentive, getting confirmation is no problem...we're chomping at the bit anyway
For those who stopped paying attention, they get dropped/reallocated before moving to payment.

That way, when it comes time for payment, you have a "cleaner" list.

for those that took the re-assigned items please submit payment if you haven't. refer to spreadsheet rows 246-262. thanks.

This was my first Group Buy and I had 13 splits for the simple fact I can get a good price on a full sack of base grain from my lhbs.
I thought this was a great way to start building stock of some of the specialty grains that I seem to use pretty regular.

Yes I paid, actually it looks like I still owe Bill 12 cents which he will get from me at pick up.

Deadbeats should be dropped period unless they have a valid reason. And if that was the case then most would have more than likely replied back to him.

Personally I think only three people not paying is good for the number of people in this buy. Not great but acceptable.

I"m sure this has and still is a lot of work for Bill and I appreciate it greatly.

Now how about somebody spinning something positive about this Group Buy!! :mug:

Well maybe prepay on splits and next time remove the prepay option on splits for the new guys, or another idea would be for the guy that is buying for the first time to send you a downpayment of have like a 50 usd buy in that would go to the grain purchased.

I don't think anyone is trying to be difficult here, which is good. Bill organizes these GBs to benefit everyone. We, collectively get a very good deal participating in these buys. I can't even get my three siblings to agree on a place for Mother's Day. So the fact that we can get this many people to place an order as complicated as this and then pay in less than a month is astounding if you think about the logistics. However, everyone that participates needs to follow common rules with any purchase. Once you agree to the purchase, pay as quickly as possible to avoid any issues. For those that need to drop out for whatever reason, should know before the buy closes if they can pay or not. If you cant pay, cool, before the buy closes, drop everything from your cart and the group more times than not will pick up the splits. But don't wait until after the buy closes to reach out. It does cause issues because your splits are interwoven with other people's orders and that's not fair. Again, I've participated on several of these buys through Bill and they get bigger each time and I am always astounded at how quickly we can get everyone organized and ready to pay. We decided on Connie's for Mother's Day, BTW, decent breakfast buffet.

bmason1623 said:
The 2-row has been accounted for via email. Do you still want the MO?

Yep. I'll send 41.80 after work this afternoon, prolly around 5 or so.

I think we should have to accept an agreement when registering for the group buy, then we have to fund our group buy account with $5 (which will go towards items we order) once the order is placed. If everyone had to put in $5 upon registering, people wouldn't be adding **** to there cart that had no intention of paying for. amiright?

I think it would be fair if newbs have to to send some amounts, say $25, to register with the GB. If they don't drop out, they can use it towards their buy. If they drop out after closing, their money goes toward covering any difference in shipping, food and food for the people doing the splits.

Alright, alright, I'll take the M. O., and the Caramel Munich....

Looks like they have me down for the whole bag of Caramel Munich. I will take the whole bag if you don't need the other half, but you have first choice.

How many splits were left on the Hallertau? I would take a pound if that keeps it.

Looks like they have me down for the whole bag of Caramel Munich. I will take the whole bag if you don't need the other half, but you have first choice.

How many splits were left on the Hallertau? I would take a pound if that keeps it.

Hallertau is sold out but Hallertau Hersbrucker is not. As far as I know, there are no hops that need to be picked up by anyone.

I'm already regretting that I didn't get enough grain...being my first group buy I didn't want to over do it! Looking forward to the next one already!

I'm already regretting that I didn't get enough grain...being my first group buy I didn't want to over do it! Looking forward to the next one already!

I usually tell people ad nauseum that no matter how much grain you think you need, add a couple of more sacks to your order. I kept quiet this time.

bmason1623 said:
I usually tell people ad nauseum that no matter how much grain you think you need, add a couple of more sacks to your order. I kept quiet this time.

The man speaks the truth, suffice it say I bought Plenty of grain this time!!!!

I would have loved to have picked up a LOT more grain this time, but I have been on a spending freeze. My best man is getting married in two weeks and I am reciprocating the honor. Thank god for Bill Me Later, my kegging system arrives tomorrow!

Hello All,

I've been following by digest, which in hindsight I won't do again!

If anyone has splits they picked up to keep the order in and would rather share, let me know. The car I thought needed a new transmission only needs an axle, so I have a bit more cash for grain if need be.

Denny in Woodstock IL

Hello All,

I've been following by digest, which in hindsight I won't do again!

If anyone has splits they picked up to keep the order in and would rather share, let me know. The car I thought needed a new transmission only needs an axle, so I have a bit more cash for grain if need be.

Denny in Woodstock IL

Were you able to get in on this buy at all? Let me know I ordered a extra sack of 2 row if your interested

Were you able to get in on this buy at all? Let me know I ordered a extra sack of 2 row if your interested

Oh yes, I've got (for me) quite a bit, just wanted to let it be known I can help out others if they took on more than they wanted to keep a split going. I know we had a few people drop out after ordering, for one reason or another.

Thanks for the offer!

Denny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back