Beer in CO2 lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaverstick

Reaction score
Just kegged 3 cornys last, hooked all three up to gas lines (four way manifold) and when I opened the gas valves and turned the gas (to seal at 30 psi) on beer started running through the CO2 lines. I realized that the problem was that the CO2 tank was empty. So I hooked up a spare tank and everything worked as it should. Question is should I clean out/sanitize all of the CO2 lines? Also, I assume beer may have made its way into the CO2 Tank. Thanks!

Just kegged 3 cornys last, hooked all three up to gas lines (four way manifold) and when I opened the gas valves and turned the gas (to seal at 30 psi) on beer started running through the CO2 lines. I realized that the problem was that the CO2 tank was empty. So I hooked up a spare tank and everything worked as it should. Question is should I clean out/sanitize all of the CO2 lines? Also, I assume beer may have made its way into the CO2 Tank. Thanks!

If beer made its way into the CO2 tank, then beer made its way into your regulator (not a good thing). You should have a check valve on your regulator (CO2 Out-Side) to keep any liquids from making it into the regulator.

I saw an item on WilliamsBrewing.Com where they had both Ball Lock and Pin Lock Disconnects for the CO2 side with Check Valves. These would keep liquid from ever getting into the lines. It seems like a good idea (something that Sanke Kegs connectors already have). If I recall correctly, the disconnest with check valve were in the $10-$15 range. This is more than a regular disconnect, but it still is pretty cheap insurance.

Mark

Back