Electronic music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpybumpy

Reaction score
House, down tempo, dubstep, techno, electro, idm...on and on

What are you guys listening to these days? I feel like I've fallen off the wagon lately and need some suggestions. My abridged list of favorites are:

Amon tobin (fav of all time)
bonobo
Boards of canada
Digitalism
Mark farina
Wagon christ (or any of his aliases)
Orbital
Chemical brothers
Flying lotus
Daft punk
Dj shadow
Prefuse 73
Cornelius

Almost forgot shpongle.
Really? All homebrewers listen to metal and blues?

Evets said:
Yeah, pretty much. That and/or bluegrass!

I love me some bluegrass and blues, but the spectrum of electronic music is so vast! Digging some tipsy right now while I brew. They're a full band that makes some very wacky electro lounge

I dig a lot of the more industrial electronic stuff. Aggrotech, EBM, synthpop, powernoise, that kind of stuff. Grendel, Terrorfakt, Prometheus Burning, Assemblage 23, Nitzer Ebb, Funker Vogt, that kind of stuff. But I'm definitely down with Orbital, Chemical Brothers, and Daft Punk.

Oh, and when I'm in the mood, I dig some IDM (whatever the hell that genre means). Xanopticon is a lot of fun if you don't mind music that sounds like a malfunctioning computer.

Qhrumphf said:
I dig a lot of the more industrial electronic stuff. Aggrotech, EBM, synthpop, powernoise, that kind of stuff. Grendel, Terrorfakt, Prometheus Burning, Assemblage 23, Nitzer Ebb, Funker Vogt, that kind of stuff. But I'm definitely down with Orbital, Chemical Brothers, and Daft Punk.

I have heard none of those. Where would you recommend I start? amon tobin is somewhat industrial, check him out

Well, they're all pretty much typical examples of their respective genres. This is what I can come up with off the top of my head, but I don't listen to the stuff as much as I used to:

For aggrotech I'd check out Grendel, Funker Vogt, Tactical Sekt, or Combichrist.

For EBM, Nitzer Ebb is about as classic as you can get.

For powernoise, Terrorfakt, C/A/T, Cenotype, Synapscape, Iszoloscope, Prometheus Burning.

For synthpop, Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk (their older stuff, their newer stuff is garbage), or NeuroticFish.

Some examples:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pm8dO5efEo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ktBmwP8KfXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KpJb1x4y0ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ive been known to dig some of the industrial stuff from time to time (although I prefer the metal end of the industrial spectrum usually). I used to listen to a lot of electronica, and still listen to the following periodically:
Nitzer Ebb
Bill Laswell (OK, this is more dub type stuff)
Bodycall
Etylen
pepe deluxe (salami fever anybody?)
prodigy
psyclon nine
skinny puppy
combichrist
bjork (some of her older, more electronic stuff)
I used to like daft punk a lot, discovery was released when I was a sophomore in high school. I seem to recall liking it a lot. I tried listening to it again recently (sober) and it wasnt quite as good as when I was 16 (and possibly not sober :cross: )

BTW, I don't really get into a lot of electronic music seeing as I hate the beat in most of them. The whole dance club/keep the tempo with the kick beat pisses me off. I am a big fan of chiptunes though. I even write some of my own.

The 8-Bit Rebellion stuff is mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Future Sound of London. Kind of industrial electronic. One of my favorite albums is "Dead Cities" ... It is pretty dark.

Orb would be another group to try. U.F.Orb is a great album. If you like something a little more toward the dance end of the spectrum, try the album "Orblivion"

If you are into stuff with little or no beat, take a listen to a group called Stars of the Lid ... One of my favorite albums is "The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid". I'm also a fan of Steve Roach.

For something kind of "out there" there's a three disc series (I think they are all sold individually) called Oedipus Brain Foil. It is a colaboration between Robin Storey, Randy Grief, and Nigel Ayers. They are probably hard to find due to limited quantities made. I think the best of the three is Nail of Pious Bride ... I particularly like a song on that album called "Seven Day Galaxy"

mathin said:
I like Future Sound of London. Kind of industrial electronic. One of my favorite albums is "Dead Cities" ... It is pretty dark.

Man, I haven't listened to dead cities in a looooong time. At least 10 years. You've inspired me to drop the cd into my system while I cook dinner! If you like the darker, organic sounding techno, check out amon tobin's Supermodified. Ugggh it's so good. That, or Foley Room by the same artist.

Yeah. Supermodified is a great album. I'll have to check out the other album you mentioned.

Wow 17 posts and there are alot of great acts not mentioned.
The Disco Biscuits
STS9
Bassnectar
Lotus
Beats Antique
SAVOY
Ana Sis
Tiesto
Eoto
Pretty lights
Emancipator
I would of posted some links just kinda lazy right now

I would live and die by Aphex Twin. Every track Richard James puts out I either love or really love.

Plug is great, actually any incarnation of Luke Vibert

Watch any show footage of Squarepusher, after the first song in the set it is obvious the audience would follow him into battle

Tricky is classic

Old Prodigy (Music for the Jilted Generation album)

Electronic music is such a huge range of stuff that someone could like "electronic music" and another electronic music fan would think all that stuff is garbage. Let's see what I have in my phone:

Felix da Housecat
Tiga
Mylo
Royksopp
AIR
Trentemoller
Lindstrom & Prins Thomas
Bonobo
Booka Shade
James Zabiela
Carl Craig
Chromeo (sorta electronic)
Deadmau5
Goldfrapp (sometimes)
Gotan Project
The Knife
Ladytron
Nightmares on Wax
Underworld
Boards of Canada

Some of the best concerts I've been to were electronic music concerts. Royksopp, AIR, and Trentemoller were awesome because you get a sound and energy that you just can't get when you listen to the albums. My friend and I both thought the Thievery Corporation concert was weak and I can't listen to them anymore.
I was into BT in high school and it's okay sometimes, but I find myself changing the album before I get too far.

neko said:
Electronic music is such a huge range of stuff that someone could like "electronic music" and another electronic music fan would think all that stuff is garbage. Let's see what I have in my phone:

Felix da Housecat
Tiga
Mylo
Royksopp
AIR
Trentemoller
Lindstrom & Prins Thomas
Bonobo
Booka Shade
James Zabiela
Carl Craig
Chromeo (sorta electronic)
Deadmau5
Goldfrapp (sometimes)
Gotan Project
The Knife
Ladytron
Nightmares on Wax
Underworld
Boards of Canada

Some of the best concerts I've been to were electronic music concerts. Royksopp, AIR, and Trentemoller were awesome because you get a sound and energy that you just can't get when you listen to the albums. My friend and I both thought the Thievery Corporation concert was .

weak and I can't listen to them anymore.
I was into BT in high school and it's okay sometimes, but I find myself changing the album before I get too far.

I saw nightmares on wax with a full band in 2002. Still the best concert I've been to!

Great list you got there

Anyone like Philip Glass? I'm loving this thread. Giving me tons of great recommendations. Thanks! I'm a huge Orbital fan and also enjoy Daft Punk and Chemical Bros, but am always looking for new tunes.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Juan Atkins. He practicly created electronic music.

I am a bit out of touch with what is new but I still listen to a lot of stuff.

Chemical Brothers
Future Sound of London
Crystal Method
KMFDM
Orbital
Atari Teenage Riot
Prodigy
Daft Punk

I'm glad pretty lights was already mentioned. I just recently discovered Trent moeller. There a few music blogs I follow that help me keep up on artists and new tracks. Going Quantum and Spread the jams are run by the same guy on youtube and have some good mixes if you tend towards DnB and dubstep. Infected electronic on facebook has a wide range of artists featured regularly.
Some artists for you:
Glitch Mob, Tiesto, Phutureprimitive, Nero, Black Sun Empire, Blue Sky Black Death, Ludique, Traxx project, Tycho, Digitalism(check out miami showdown, epic tune),
I tend to listen to trance, DnB, and some dubstep, but as you know many artists don't really have a definitive style.

ditto on:

Luke Vibert aka Wagonchrist aka Squarepusher aka Plug - Drum N Bass for Papa destroyed the limits of the genre
Chemical Bros from the good old days
Meat Beat Manifesto - Jack Dangers is the man
Skinny Puppy - glad to see someone else remembers these guys
Aphrodite - had to dig this one up on Youtube - haven't heard the NWA remixes in years.
DJ Shadow - so good. If you like 'Organ Grinder' and haven't checked out David Axelrod, do your self a favor

If you like vintage, Tangerine Dream, Gong, and Beaver & Krause are all worth checking out.

Damn, drum and bass sucks on laptop speakers.

Can't agree more on Squarepusher. Hello Meow can send a person into the stratosphere, while just about anything on Drum N Bass for Papa reminds me of sitting in my room in college with a million cigarettes contemplating life. "Me and Mr. Jones" lasts about a thousand minutes, all of which are amazing. Love that guy. Stop the Panic reminds me of a certain ballet dancer, but as a married man I won't bring that up.

I have made it a point to not listen to "We are reasonable people" seeing as how a collaboration between Vibert and Richard James could tear a hole in the space/time continuum...

CreamyGoodness said:
I have made it a point to not listen to "We are reasonable people" seeing as how a collaboration between Vibert and Richard James could tear a hole in the space/time continuum...

Wow, didn't know about this one.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Portishead yet.

Wow...just discovered the Indie thread a couple of hours ago and now I discover this. I haven't gone back to see what has been discussed, but will do soon.

Just in case anyone is interested, the new Daft Punk is streaming here. I'm two tracks in and am enjoying it so far. I sure hope to see them live some day...definitely a bucket-list kind of act for me.

Wow...just discovered the Indie thread a couple of hours ago and now I discover this. I haven't gone back to see what has been discussed, but will do soon.

Just in case anyone is interested, the new Daft Punk is streaming here. I'm two tracks in and am enjoying it so far. I sure hope to see them live some day...definitely a bucket-list kind of act for me.

thanks for the heads up!

Anytime! After listening to Alive '97 and '07 so much it is a little hard going back to their studio stuff, but I'm sure if and when they tour this album they will most likely blow people's minds. I still regret not being able to see them in 2006.

Can't agree more on Squarepusher.

+1,000,000

Started listening to Squarepusher back in my college radio days in the early 90s and he just keeps getting better. "Ufabulum" is incredible!

I've seen a couple of mentions of Amon Tobin, but I'm having a hard time getting into the ISAM stuff. Visually it is great but I find the music lacking a little. The new Two Fingers does a lot more for me though.

There is some good taste in this thread! Looking forward to hearing about some artists I don't know.

Has anyone here checked out the new Daft Punk yet? Definitely kind of a disco throwback, but for the most part I'm loving it. There are a couple of songs that don't do it for me, but I'm finding myself at work nodding my head along with most of it. I really hope they will do another tour...very interested to see what they would do with these songs live.

If the link I posted a couple of days ago isn't working the album is now streaming for free on iTunes.

I thought I was an electronic music fan, but didn't know most anything above other than the fun Beats Antique and the ok Daft Punk.
So I googled, and found the Wikipedia page.
Yes, I was right, I do like electronic music, particularly:
Edgard Varèse
Karlheinz Stockhausen
John Cage
Milton Babbitt
Mario Davidovsky
Frank Zappa
Iannis Xenakis
Delia Derbyshire
Terry Riley
Wendy Carlos
Andrew Kazdin and Thomas Z. Shepard
Tangarine Dream
Brian Eno
Isao Tomita

And Laurie Anderson is fabulous.

Years ago on youtube this guy Tae Kim asked me to listen to his stuff. I liked it. Best song in my opinion, with the funniest name, was "Your Mom Loves This Beat"

Latest posts

Back