Brewing with Rice Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article, how do you think that compares against plain BRS? It seems that the limited sensory analysis comes up the same that I've seen discussed in here, about being lighter in body and so on. They don't mention which enzymes were detected.

Interesting article, how do you think that compares against plain BRS? It seems that the limited sensory analysis comes up the same that I've seen discussed in here, about being lighter in body and so on. They don't mention which enzymes were detected.

Good question. Personally, I don't taste much of a difference between Bard's (made with malted sorghum) and Redbridge (made with unmalted + enzymes). So I wouldn't be shocked if you malted the same rice used in BRS and it tasted the same.

Does anyone else feel this way about Bards & Redbridge or can you taste a significant difference?

Good question. Personally, I don't taste much of a difference between Bard's (made with malted sorghum) and Redbridge (made with unmalted + enzymes). So I wouldn't be shocked if you malted the same rice used in BRS and it tasted the same.

Does anyone else feel this way about Bards & Redbridge or can you taste a significant difference?

Well, I had a couple bard's on Saturday. Must have been fresher than whatever I bought this summer, because it was pretty good (though maybe it just went with the GF pizza well, plus I was starving...)

I had a Redbridge last night, and although I'd say the 2 taste 'different', I'm not sure I could really put down much difference in the malt. The Bards tastes a bit maltier, and a bit more...roasty and dark. The Redbridge, I would guess is just a bit lower gravity. But maybe the entire difference could be pinned down to hops and yeast.

Of course, maybe I've just gotten used to the sorghum flavor...

I think dorklord got it exactly right about Bard's. I always get a slightly fruity finish with Redbridge. Both beers are great for being gluten free beers, but I think Bard's resembles a barley beer best.

I was thinking something of the same thing of those two as well, even though I haven't done a double blind. Rice malt is probably worth it, just like malting anything else vs using an outside amylase.

Should see if the black rice would work too.

Back