Brewing with Khat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew It Back

Reaction score
I am thinking of experimenting with Khat. For those of you who don't know, it is a plant with mild stimulant qualities (don't worry, it's legal where I live). The leaves are usually pressure cooked to create a mildly sweet tasting drink. I am trying to think of a way to incorporate it into the wort. Originally I thought of using it as a substitute for the hops, and then 'dry hopping' as well, but I think that incorporating it as a liquid and also 'dry hopping' would yield the best results- I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

By the way, since this will be an experiment I am planning on doing a small batch- 5 L

By the way, since this will be an experiment I am planning on doing a small batch- 5 L
Did you ever make this beer? The most potent psychoactive ingredient of khat is destroyed by room temps and above. So if you wanted that effect I would say "dry herbing" at lagering temps would be the way to go...

Did you ever make this beer? The most potent psychoactive ingredient of khat is destroyed by room temps and above. So if you wanted that effect I would say "dry herbing" at lagering temps would be the way to go...

Back