Brewing the same beer for a year: Iteration 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poopsmitherson

Reaction score
As I start my year-long journey of honing in this recipe, I've already come to a couple realizations, but I continue to have far more questions than answers. In this post, I cover my brew day, results and tasting notes, and considerations for next time.

https://brewublog.wordpress.com/2017/02/14/iteration-1/

While I'm sure that will help nail down a recipe and process, it sounds pretty boring. I don't like to brew the same recipe TWICE in a row!

It will be a challenge for me to continue this for sure, but that's part of why I'm doing the blog too: accountability.

And while it may get tedious later, I'm hoping the end product and the learning experience of it all will be worth it.

I think its an awesome project. It might not be for everyone but I could definitely see myself doing this to try to make something the best it can be.

i've been tweaking my saison recipe for 2 years, it's been a fun experience! As long as you have other beer in the pipeline (I have 6 taps), i'm sure you wont get tired of this beer.

I've got a couple of 2.5 gallon kegs. I could see maybe doing something like this if you had a particularly enjoyable style you wanted to refine to perfection. But I enjoy the differences between beers too much.

I can see the value of honing a recipe, as far as learning to detect the subtle changes in flavor small variations in ingredients and process make. The way I brew, it's difficult to discern these subtleties. I never brew the same thing twice, and often measure, crush, and begin mash before I even have decided what to do for hops.
To do what you are doing and get meaningful results however, one should bottle at least a few bottles of each brew, and store those bottles in the fridge after bottle conditioning or bottling from a keg. Making a batch to batch comparison is subjective enough as it is, without taking into account differences due to age. Ideally it should be in the smallest possible bottles.
Comparisons between individual batches may guide you to the next brew, but at some point or points, one should be able to review various batches at a similar state of aging. One needs both meaningful short term guidance and long term review for something like this.

H.W.

Kinda off topic but I've seen so many experienced brewers on here talk about going back to the stove-top with small batches... Its definitely something I've been considering just to fit more brews into a month, and I think that would allow me to take on a continual recipe without sacrificing variety. Maybe Ill start a 3 gallon series of something nice and drinkable.

Kinda off topic but I've seen so many experienced brewers on here talk about going back to the stove-top with small batches... Its definitely something I've been considering just to fit more brews into a month, and I think that would allow me to take on a continual recipe without sacrificing variety. Maybe Ill start a 3 gallon series of something nice and drinkable.

I've never grown above about 4 gallons max, and currently brew primarily 2 gallon batches.... I prefer the variety and being able to brew each week. Zero interest in large scale really. I am doing a continuous brew experiment at the moment with my new Fast Ferment conical, but my intent from the outset was to use it this way. Taking about half out for secondary, and replacing it with fresh wort, and changing things on a continuous basis to the point where it will be impossible to say what the "recipe" is, as it will be a blend of worts going back months. I do love the extremely steep sided conical! I'd love to have one just like it that was clear acrylic and 3 gallon capacity

H.W.

What happens if you nail it the first time, and then are never able to replicate it throughout the entire year??? That would be utter madness!

@Owly055 would you be making the same recipe just several continuous batches or actually blending different recipes/styles together?

Im interested in following your journey but am not having luck navigating your blog.

Where is the recipe? I see something in a couple different places called recipe but neither includes any information about the grain bill.

I think this is a great project and wish you much success.

Im interested in following your journey but am not having luck navigating your blog.

Where is the recipe? I see something in a couple different places called recipe but neither includes any information about the grain bill.

I think this is a great project and wish you much success.

Strange. The link in the original post contains the recipe, as well as the first post on the blog. I don't know where the trouble is stemming from, but if you figure it out, please let me know so I can try to get it fixed.

Either way, here's a link again to the recipe for the first brew:

https://brewublog.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/from-concept-to-competition/

The grain bill in the brew mentioned in the blog is pretty simple, and I'll list that since you specifically asked about that.
10.25 lb 2-row
1 lb Crystal 80

Also, thanks for your kind words. I hope you do continue with me through this!

I can see the value of honing a recipe, as far as learning to detect the subtle changes in flavor small variations in ingredients and process make. The way I brew, it's difficult to discern these subtleties. I never brew the same thing twice, and often measure, crush, and begin mash before I even have decided what to do for hops.
To do what you are doing and get meaningful results however, one should bottle at least a few bottles of each brew, and store those bottles in the fridge after bottle conditioning or bottling from a keg. Making a batch to batch comparison is subjective enough as it is, without taking into account differences due to age. Ideally it should be in the smallest possible bottles.
Comparisons between individual batches may guide you to the next brew, but at some point or points, one should be able to review various batches at a similar state of aging. One needs both meaningful short term guidance and long term review for something like this.

H.W.

The plan is to store a few away from each brew so I can compare as I go, both between the last two batches and between other batches. I recognize that the beer will change over time, but I'll be taking tasting notes on each batch several times at different points from the brew date.

Strange. The link in the original post contains the recipe, as well as the first post on the blog. I don't know where the trouble is stemming from, but if you figure it out, please let me know so I can try to get it fixed.

Either way, here's a link again to the recipe for the first brew:

https://brewublog.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/from-concept-to-competition/

The grain bill in the brew mentioned in the blog is pretty simple, and I'll list that since you specifically asked about that.
10.25 lb 2-row
1 lb Crystal 80

Also, thanks for your kind words. I hope you do continue with me through this!

not sure what is wrong. tried two different browsers on my mac and another on my pc laptop...all pull up this:
screen-shot-2017-02-15-at-25647-pm-67957.png

like that you plan to taste the batches over time. would be really good to know for a given recipe how it evolves and see if that is really predictable. I too often just drink them young due to pipeline issues but especially for competition brewing think you want know know when the beer will be optimal.

like that you plan to taste the batches over time. would be really good to know for a given recipe how it evolves and see if that is really predictable. I too often just drink them young due to pipeline issues but especially for competition brewing think you want know know when the beer will be optimal.

I tend to do the same. It will be different storing beers to drink later, but I think it will help me see what I haven't before: how these beers change over time.

I would recommend picking more than one beer to do this with, depending on how often you brew. I did something similar last year, going through 5 iterations of an IPA, working out the kinks each time. I learned a ton about grains and hops and techniques. By version 5 I had something I really liked. But I'd put 5-6 weeks between each brew, because I had to give it time to ferment, carbonate, and taste over a couple weeks. That meant I was brewing other things in between.

@Owly055 would you be making the same recipe just several continuous batches or actually blending different recipes/styles together?

I envision changing every brew at least slightly as my tastes change. I'll be a bit behind the curve so to speak, and the changes will be very gradual. I won't do complex multi hop additions, probably simple single hop or two hop brews. If I have a yen for some thing fruitier, or spicier, or more floral, my next brew will contain hops to take the continuous brew in that direction. If I'm wanting lighter body, or heavier maltier body, I'll make changes in that direction. If I have a yearning for a higher gravity brew, or a lower one, that will be reflected in that week's brew. Changes won't be sudden or radical, all will probably fall within the pale ale family. I won't go towards a light BMC style, or to a stout or porter, etc.
I will have other fermenters going for those kinds of brews. This is an experiment in blending and gradual evolution in brewing.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back