Brewing inside a horse shed - Making it safe help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
First off, sorry for the condition of some of the equipment. It's been sitting in my shed for over 5 months collecting dust.

This past winter we bought a new home about 10 miles away from my old shack and it has a horse shed! We don't have a horse, so it instantly became my new beer shed. I've stored all of my brew stuff in here and really haven't touched it since...

The shed is 16'x10' with the ceiling slowing rising from 10' at back to 11' by the front.

Cement foundation.

There is a simple partition at about 5' from the right side making a "room" separate from the main area and accessible from the door on the right.

The enclosure is only enclosed on 3 sides. It looks like there may have been a 4th wall at some point but I would need to build this if I wanted a full enclosure.

The partitioned wall will make a great grain storage area as well as for spare tubes, random equipment, yeast lab, etc.
------------

As you can see, the fermenters and draft system are lined along the walls and I would like to keep them there AND brew in the center of the main room. It can get quite windy and I'd like to brew in any condition since I base by brew days around when I anticipate my yeast starter to be ready.

1) Is this enough ventilation? I'd like to think so if people are brewing in their car garage with just a crack.

2) I'm using a 50000 btu burner. Brewing in the center of the shed would put any given fermenter and wall about 4-5' from the flame source... is this too close? Since the flame would not be subject to the elements, it is likely the flame would be contained directly under the pot. Placed right where the edge of the weight bench would be.

3) Should I install a vent on top to eliminate any CO fears?

Help me make this safe :) I appreciate your concerns. :mug:

Brewshed-03.jpg

Brewshed-02.jpg

brewshed-01.jpg

Nice shed. Not sure what kind of area you live in, but I would probably want to enclose the 4th wall just for security. You don't want animals/kids/hobos coming in and drinking your beer, eating your grains, and sleeping in your shed. Can that bay fit a garage door?

If it's open like that, should be plenty of ventilation, I would think.

If it remains open like that, you have no CO concerns.

I brew in my garage; the walls and ceiling are covered with drywall, so there's no direct flammable above where I brew. I doubt you'd have much difficulty.

If it were my shed, with your equipment, I'd brew in the middle of the open area with no concerns.

Here's what I do; when it is cold (witness the snow on the ground outside the garage) I will set up a fan a few feet to the right to blow above the top of boil kettle so I don't just have a bunch of steam rising to the top of the garage. In warm temps I don't do that.

allgrain.jpg

You don't want animals/kids/hobos coming in and drinking your beer, eating your grains,

I just got this vision of OP coming out to brew with a hobo sitting over his grain bucket munching down on a handful of 2-row haha :ban:

As far as ventilation, I would imagine that with the windows open and the huge bay door at least partially opened that you shouldnt have any issues. But then again I brew outside completely. I do think you're fine with the distance from the flame source. If you were really concerned about it you could always go get a few pieces of sheet rock and put them up in the area of concern

Nice shed. Not sure what kind of area you live in, but I would probably want to enclose the 4th wall just for security. You don't want animals/kids/hobos coming in and drinking your beer, eating your grains, and sleeping in your shed. Can that bay fit a garage door?

If it's open like that, should be plenty of ventilation, I would think.

I'm glad you said garage door because that was the first thing I though of. even if I needed to add some to the frame to make the enclosure smaller, it could be done!
On the other hand, I was thinking of some swing out doors, but that might be a bit more stressful on the wall, and I might have to hire someone to do that (I could try myself, would probably be unsafe...

We do have a bear "problem" and you're right, keeping the stuff away from stray kids would be on the safe side. No hobos. It's pretty rural out here and to access that shed, you've got quite the walk. Here's a view from the shed this morning.

Photo-Apr-27,-8-22-51-AM.jpg

If it remains open like that, you have no CO concerns.

Here's what I do; when it is cold (witness the snow on the ground outside the garage) I will set up a fan a few feet to the right to blow above the top of boil kettle so I don't just have a bunch of steam rising to the top of the garage. In warm temps I don't do that.

Hmm. Can you elaborate as to why you would do this in the winter and not the summer? (is it to keep the temps warm for comfort reasons?) :tank:

Also, so installing drywall reduces fire chances by covering immediate flammables? (This may be a DUH observation, but mama always said there are no dumb questions... but now I think she might have just been trying to protect me ;) )

I just got this vision of OP coming out to brew with a hobo sitting over his grain bucket munching down on a handful of 2-row haha :ban:

As far as ventilation, I would imagine that with the windows open and the huge bay door at least partially opened that you shouldnt have any issues. But then again I brew outside completely. I do think you're fine with the distance from the flame source. If you were really concerned about it you could always go get a few pieces of sheet rock and put them up in the area of concern

Hey man! Mash is like the best oatmeal smell in the world times 1000!

Ah sheet rock would do it... I thought about making some kind of aluminum space wall or something, but yeah, KISS.

I think I'm going to give it a try without anything, and if things start to melt or I feel the surrounding surfaces uncomfortably hot, I'll stop...

a couple of ideas for a door:
1) Put a rail across the front of the shed and hang a door from it so the door slides to the side when opening. It might cover up the smaller door when its open.
2) Those folding door that fold back on itself. This wouldn't put all the torque on the framing and you could anchor it into the concrete.

Just some ideas.
Great view, I love the eastern side of the Sierras. I spend some time camping in and around the Mono Lake to Mammoth area.

a couple of ideas for a door:
1) Put a rail across the front of the shed and hang a door from it so the door slides to the side when opening. It might cover up the smaller door when its open.
2) Those folding door that fold back on itself. This wouldn't put all the torque on the framing and you could anchor it into the concrete.

Just some ideas.
Great view, I love the eastern side of the Sierras. I spend some time camping in and around the Mono Lake to Mammoth area.

1) I thought about this and figured I could even make this based on a youtube I saw, but the issue is that I would have to make it a solid piece as sliding the left half would go beyond the structure making supporting a solid door difficult.

2) I don't know what you mean, but I'm interested! Can you post an example?? :rockin:

Hmm. Can you elaborate as to why you would do this in the winter and not the summer? (is it to keep the temps warm for comfort reasons?) :tank:

Also, so installing drywall reduces fire chances by covering immediate flammables? (This may be a DUH observation, but mama always said there are no dumb questions... but now I think she might have just been trying to protect me ;) )

In cold weather (temps in the 40s is when I do this), the steam from the boil kettle rises to the ceiling where it will condense on whatever. If it works its way into the drywall it can get through to the insulation above where it condenses creating all sorts of havoc. I would avoid that. :)

So by setting up a fan (in cold temps) to blow across the top of the kettle--it's probably aimed at a foot or two higher than the rim of the kettle--it mixes the steam with the ambient air cooling it and eliminating that steam column that rises to the ceiling.

I'd rather brew when it's about 60-70 degrees, and at that point the air will hold more moisture so there isn't a steam column rising to the ceiling where it's unlikely to condense anyway given the temp of the drywall (60 degrees plus).

And yes, drywall is nonflammable (except the paper covering which won't burst into flame) and, in fact, is used in safes as fire protection. There is water in the gypsum which goes to steam when heated, and in doing so it protects the safe contents at least for the rated time.

In cold weather (temps in the 40s is when I do this), the steam from the boil kettle rises to the ceiling where it will condense on whatever. If it works its way into the drywall it can get through to the insulation above where it condenses creating all sorts of havoc. I would avoid that. :)

So by setting up a fan (in cold temps) to blow across the top of the kettle--it's probably aimed at a foot or two higher than the rim of the kettle--it mixes the steam with the ambient air cooling it and eliminating that steam column that rises to the ceiling.

I'd rather brew when it's about 60-70 degrees, and at that point the air will hold more moisture so there isn't a steam column rising to the ceiling where it's unlikely to condense anyway given the temp of the drywall (60 degrees plus).

And yes, drywall is nonflammable (except the paper covering which won't burst into flame) and, in fact, is used in safes as fire protection. There is water in the gypsum which goes to steam when heated, and in doing so it protects the safe contents at least for the rated time.

Maybe instead of drywall then use green board? Just a thought. Could keep that moisture out of the stud space. But I would agree, a fan is obviously a cheaper option haha

Maybe instead of drywall then use green board? Just a thought. Could keep that moisture out of the stud space. But I would agree, a fan is obviously a cheaper option haha

If it were a bathroom where you'd have high humidity levels for extended periods of time, I'd have green board. But the garage is open to the outside when brewing so there's no high concentration of steam or moisture, just where it heads up to the ceiling.

The fan is my lo-tech solution to that problem, and I'm glad I'm I'm finally to the time of year where it's more pleasant to brew. :)

If I wanted to form a barrier between the freezers and the brewing area, what can I do to the floor so that I can spray water and not have to worry much about water flowing running under the ferm equipment? This is also important just incase I blow a hose...

A friend of mine was using his propane fired crucible furnace to cast bronze in his garage. Never had a problem with far more heat than you will ever get out of a turkey fryer burner. He was melting 25-35 pounds at a time, and running multiple molds in sequence.

I would be prone to look at a powered ventilation system for moving the steam out though.
Shop the sales or craigslist/Kijiji for a range hood with a fan, and add a couple bucks worth of ducting to get it out with, and you can be pretty sure that you will not have any moisture issues.

TeeJo

A friend of mine was using his propane fired crucible furnace to cast bronze in his garage. Never had a problem with far more heat than you will ever get out of a turkey fryer burner. He was melting 25-35 pounds at a time, and running multiple molds in sequence.

I would be prone to look at a powered ventilation system for moving the steam out though.
Shop the sales or craigslist/Kijiji for a range hood with a fan, and add a couple bucks worth of ducting to get it out with, and you can be pretty sure that you will not have any moisture issues.

TeeJo

I really do want a powered vent... I'll consider it for the budget...as long as I can turn it on with this:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463951333.363531.jpg

Back