Brewing equipment in distilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeppilot

Reaction score
I have been brewing all grain beer on an electric (not Grainfather, Robobrew etc.) setup for some time and am interested in distilling. I have a small space and am trying to keep equipment to a minimum.

I currently have a 10 gal Brew Boss kettle and am looking to upgrade my fermenter to a Spike Flex.

My question is, has anyone used a Spike Flex, or other fermenter as their boil pot? Or has anyone converted the brewing kettle into a boil pot? Ideally, I’d like to use my existing boil kettle or a Spike Flex or other by attaching a alembic dome and condenser onto and use my electric PID and an element I already have. Thanks!

I hear… Anvil Foundry works great! The lid already has a hole in it. Use what you have. You can make it work!

Ohh... I mis-read... you said *not* GF, RB, etc,,, My bad...

Yeah I almost put that in caps to make it stand out but I’m not of fan of that for some weird reason.

While I can’t imagine what issues there might be, no manufacturer wants to say a word using their cold side equipment for hot side use. But how to seal a dome to a lid without a permanent mod to the lid…

But how to seal a dome to a lid without a permanent mod to the lid…

Doesn't need to be super tight... If you can't find a silicone gasket that fits, you can make one...
get some tubing of the desired diameter, measure out a length that is the circumference of your kettle,
nice clean straight cuts... split one side down the entire length, use silicone adhesive to glue the two cut
ends together... Slip the split side over the rim of the kettle... google for DIY gaskets... Pretty sure
I saw this somewhere on HBT with pictures and a howto/tips...

Weighing the lid down with something heavy should make a tight enough seal... or binder clips if
you've got a bit of lip on the kettle to grab on to...

Or do like the old moonshiners and make a dough with flour and water... about playdough consistency...
form a seal around the lid .... I've done it w/ AP flour... it works. Pain in the @$$ to clean afterward, though

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/bl...266957-how-to-make-flour-paste-for-distillinghttps://www.whiskeystillpro.com/blogs/news/29964033-easy-diy-flour-paste-for-your-copper-still

If you want to take your lid to 2" TC so you can add simple TC connections and not deal with paste ETC, I designed a part for that. The cool thing is 2" TC parts make AWESOME standalone stills!

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Still-Spirits-Turbo-500-Tri-Clover-2-Inch-Connect.html
Cheers
Jay

This looks really cool. I'm definitely sticking this in my back pocket.

I'm not sure my original post was completely understood though. I DON'T already have a Grandfather, Turbo 500 or other and am trying not to add another pot. I AM trying to upgrade my plastic fermenter to a stainless fermenter and am looking at converting it to use as a boiler and a fermenter. While I'd prefer the Spike Flex -- it appears the SS Brewtech 7 gal Bucket has a 12.5" diameter compared to the 12.25" diameter of the Digiboil 35L lid, which the alembic dome fit perfectly. I'm exploring swapping said dome in place of the standard lid when distilling. If I add an electric element to the SS Bucket via TC, I could effectively turn my fermenter into Turbo 500 type setup. Then when I ferment, I'd place a blank in the element hole and just use the standard lid.

This looks really cool. I'm definitely sticking this in my back pocket.

I'm not sure my original post was completely understood though. I DON'T already have a Grandfather, Turbo 500 or other and am trying not to add another pot. I AM trying to upgrade my plastic fermenter to a stainless fermenter and am looking at converting it to use as a boiler and a fermenter. While I'd prefer the Spike Flex -- it appears the SS Brewtech 7 gal Bucket has a 12.5" diameter compared to the 12.25" diameter of the Digiboil 35L lid, which the alembic dome fit perfectly. I'm exploring swapping said dome in place of the standard lid when distilling. If I add an electric element to the SS Bucket via TC, I could effectively turn my fermenter into Turbo 500 type setup. Then when I ferment, I'd place a blank in the element hole and just use the standard lid.
Gotcha. I like sanke kegs for this spot. Both fermentation and distillation. They are perfect IMHO.
But I see what your getting at.

Cheers
Jay

I don’t usually promote online homebrew shops but take a look at Northern Brewer. They have some interesting stuff. Domes and lids and columns. None of us is actually distilling because thats illegal. But in theory you would want a pot still to make whiskey or rum or you would want a coulmn still to make more pure spirits like vodka or gin.

Last edited:
Back