Yeast vile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acacia

Reaction score
hey guys, i am doing my first brew tonight and i have a question about my yeast. I am using a vile of White Labs california ale yeast and I thought I was supposed to open it now but I just read the vile more carefully and it looks like im not supposed to open it until im ready to use it. Can i still use this yeast or will it hurt the brew? Thanks!

Close it and you will probably be ok. As a side note it's Vial not Vile. I thought that you had spoiled yeast.

Once it warms up (leave it at room temp, securely sealed) and it's time to pitch, I recomment opening it over the top of your fermenter, slowly, carefully. It may gush out a little.

Once it warms up (leave it at room temp, securely sealed) and it's time to pitch, I recomment opening it over the top of your fermenter, slowly, carefully. It may gush out a little.

It does not hurt to sanitize the Vial and your hands when you do this. I do not have any proof of it helping or not. Something I thought about during my second brew when I was cleaning my garage simultaneously.

It does not hurt to sanitize the Vial and your hands when you do this. I do not have any proof of it helping or not. Something I thought about during my second brew when I was cleaning my garage simultaneously.

No, that's solid advice. And if you're using a carboy, sanitize a big funnel, then throw it on there before you open it. Kinda hard to control yeast explosions to go into a tiny opening.

Side note: I had been told vials can gush out explosively and take you by surprise when you open them and that many people drop or spill them. (Hence the warning to open over fermenters, etc.) Someone had told me to avoid this simply by cracking open, letting the air hiss out, and then closing the vial every 15 minutes or half-hour on brew day.

I did. It worked beautifully. No surprises; complete control. So I pass on the advice.

(I thought "yeast vile" was a misspelling of "Yeastville")

I just open it when I take my vial out the fridge. Haven't had a problem since I started. No need to open it every half hour.

Back