Ideas for an unconventional or unlikely hop combinations for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beowulf

Reaction score
Greetings - I'm looking to build a new IPA recipe and have been thinking about using a hop combination that you don't see very often. I've made a number of IPAs with the classic American hops in addition to English styles, ESBs, etc... I bought a lot of hops last year at the yard sale from hopsdirect, some of which I had never tried (Admiral, Vanguard, Delta, Newport). I'm thinking of combining them with some C-hops or with each other to see if I can come up with something different, and of course...tasty.

I'm not worried about the grain bill since I have that worked out...1065-ish with medium body...2-row or MO based with a bit of crystal, munich or perhaps vienna. I'm mainly just looking for ideas for the hops...to combine some hops in perhaps unconventional ways rather than the typical "American" or "English" categories.

Out of the list below that I have on-hand (each in various quantities), has someone tried or recommend an unconventional pairing or combination of hops in an IPA that really turned out unexpectedly good? I could just try putting things together but thought I would solicit input from fellow HBTers first... Thanks in advance!

Admiral
Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Citra
Columbus
Delta
Newport
Nugget
Vanguard
Willamette
Zeus

What did you end up brewing? Have you continued to try new combinations? Anything turn out awesome?

Back