Brewfather vs. Brewer's Friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
So my ibrewmater finally crapped out so time to move on.

What do folks like / not like about brewfather vs. brewers friend?

I will be mainly using my iphone / ipad. I have a Windows laptop but it's issued through work so I can't load software on it - which rules out beersmith and other windows based software. Brewfather looks like it has webapp support through a browser so that is a plus.

Both seem to get good reviews on the app store. Brewfather has slightly better yearly pricing.

Any other's I should consider?

I haven't tried brewfather so I can't make any comparison, but I have been a brewers friend subscriber for a couple of years. I just use the website so its easy to edit recipes any time I get an idea, across all of my devices. I also really like the integrated water calc and how accurate the recipe builder seems overall, but what really keeps me on the hook is how frequently it is updated with new features and functionality, seems like every few weeks. Since its web-based I don't have to update anything and I'm always using the latest version. Its evidence to me how far my few dollars a month go with such a dedicated and talented bunch of developers. I think I have built around ~60 recipes so far, and all of those I've brewed turned out right on the money.

I don't recommend any mobile apps, web based brewing software tends to be updated more frequently and have more features.

+1 for Brewersfriend. I do work for them though. Let us know if you have ever have any feedback, questions, or requests!

Brewfather is both web based and mobile versions. And is updated all the time simultaneously: Changelog

+1 Brewfather

Best regards

I have used both brewersfriend and brewfather. Both relatively extensively. They both are great ways of keeping track of your brewing. I do lean toward brewfather now.

Brewfather gets me spot-on with my water requirements (once I input my equipment setup of course). The water calc is straightforward. I prefer brewfather mobile app. Overall, to me brewfather is just more polished.

I have found that it lacks some grain/lovibond combos.. but you can add those as they come up.

Back