BrewersBest Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Moore

Reaction score
Hello!

Im sitting at nearly 3 weeks bottled. I opened my test bottle to check carbination and it seemed great(although it was only half full) But it had a lot of floaties and sediment in the bottle(see pics)

Is this normal? Also not sure how its supposed to smell? Kinda vanillaish? have not tasted yet. Was going to throw one in the fridge tonight and try it tomorrow
20191020_191914[1].jpg
20191020_191920[1].jpg
20191020_191914[1].jpg

Looks like you've bottled some of the trub or yeast . Check some of your bottles that you filled at the beginning. You might find that they dont have sediment or not as much. I did same thing with a pumpkin ale. Tried to get as much as I could and bottled some with gunk . Dont know what your bottling process is but if you moved the fermenter right before you transfered to a bottling bucket you roused up the sediment and then transferred it to the bucket.

Yeah i was going to edit this post.

This test bottle was the last bit of my beer.

I checked a couple bottles and a few have the sediment in the bottom but cant see any floaties.

I have a beer in the fridge right now and was gonna test it when i got home.

All that said, should be safe to drink yeah? just avoid the gunk?

Yeah i was going to edit this post.

This test bottle was the last bit of my beer.

I checked a couple bottles and a few have the sediment in the bottom but cant see any floaties.

I have a beer in the fridge right now and was gonna test it when i got home.

All that said, should be safe to drink yeah? just avoid the gunk?

The last bottle is going to have more gunk in it. Did you let the gunk settle? Pour carefully to avoid getting the gunk in you glass? How long did you cool it.
The gunk should settle during conditioning and cooling, into a layer on the bottom of the bottle. Pour carefully and stop when the gunk starts to get to the glass. Don't pour all the beer into your glass. Leave the last little bit that is full of gunk in the bottle.

Can't comment on what it should smell like. A porter may benefit from some aging. Don't drink them all right away. The peak in flavor might be a couple months away.

it was warm(i have no intentions of drinking that one)

I check the bottom of a coupel other bottles and they had the gunk in there too.

All are room temp atm and it the single one in the fridge is good they are all going in tonight .

I poured as carefully as i could, i know i will not be drinking these from the bottle though going forward

By naturally carbonating in the bottle, you're going to have sediment in EVERY bottle. It sounds as though the bottles you filled at the end of the bottling session will have more than the others as you got a little bit of the trub (gunk) in your bottling bucket.

It will not hurt you, just might not be appealing to look at. After some time in the fridge, the floaties and trub should all settle and as others have mentioned, stop pouring the bottle once you see the sediment is about to reach the glass.

Back