Brewers friend water calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=521JP8Y

This is my first time taking any water modification into consideration so I was hoping you guys could make sure I’m not messing anything up. Can you guys take a look at this link and tell me how this looks. Anything you would do different?

I am doing full volume BIAB. Are these additions made before doughing in while the water is heating up? Or after doughing in and directly into the mash?

I see a lot of people are using a PH meter. I really am not wanting to get that deep into this, so is it ok to just trust brewers friends calculations and not do that, or is it necessary to check?

Last edited:
Up your gypsum to 5g and use 1.6 calcium chloride. SO4 is still a little low but if you are doing a Blonde ale that won't matter. I add my additions while the water is cold. Sounds weird but they dissolve easier. As a BIAB/ Brewers Friend user it has been reliable for me without owning a PH meter.

I use BF calc.
I use 5 others as well.
Unless you put in certain specific info about the certain specific malts you use, any calculator will be an estimated guess and the calculators will be different by more than you'd like (avg max deviation between 5 calculators = 0.38, max=0.52 for my last 23 recipes)
Then you have the guesstimate vs reality, as measured by pH meter
All that being said, remember that the salts are flavorings, so it's not necessarily all about pH.

Anyway, BF for me is closer than some, and the deviation from measured pH gets larger as my recipe SRM goes down. Darker beers are much more closely predicted to measurement.

I BIAB. I put the salts in as I fill the kettle.

Back