brewing for a wedding - need yeast help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
Hi everyone - my sister-in-law is getting married at the end of June and I've got a brew day set up for mid-May to make two 3-gal batches for the rehearsal dinner. I've got a simple, easy-drinking, tasty (I think) recipe in the works, but I want to brew them with two different yeasts, one per 3-gal batch. To the greatest extent possible, I want to match the character of yeast to that of the bride and the groom.

Here's the recipe:
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010
IBU: 34.9
ABV: 5.2

5 lb 2-row
.75 lb wheat malt
.5 lb crystal 40
.25 rye malt

Mash @ 150 for 60 mins

.33 oz Columbus @60
.2 oz cascade @15
.1 oz citra @ 15
.2 oz cascade @ 5
.1 oz citra @ 5
1/2 tsp each of ginger and grapefruit zest @ 1 min

Yeast - I'm set on Wyeast 1056 - American Ale (one of my standards) for the bride. For the groom, I'd like something with some funky character (yet still pleasing to non-beer drinkers). I was thinking of German Ale/Kolsch WLP 029 or even something like Irish Ale Wyeast 1084 or Ringwood Wyeast 1187.

Any thoughts on the yeasts or the base recipe? I think this idea can be really cool if executed properly.

lumpher said:
dude, i ain't feelin that recipe at all
Me neither... Personally I wouldn't consider brewing something for an event that I hadn't made before.

My lhbs has 1 gal carboys for 5 bucks. You could brew up 2 gallons, and pitch a different yeast into each one.
The smaller volume takes a little less time to attenuate, so you could try it out first.

Ok, so I've taken some of your advice. I've retooled and have come up with this. It's an amber beer. What do you think:

3 Gal
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012
SRM: 16.7
IBU: 33

5 lb 2-row
12 oz rye
.8 oz crystal 40
.25 oz crystal 20
.25 oz chocolate malt
.25 oz flaked barley

.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
.25 oz Bramling Cross @ 15
.25 oz Saaz @ 15
.25 oz Bramling Cross @ 5
.25 oz Saaz @ 5

Mash for 60 minutes at @ 152

Ferment with WLP 004 - Irish Yeast.

I think this recipe will work much better. Thoughts?

Back