Brew Kit Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoshy

Reaction score
So the expected Og of this kit is 1.064 and I ended up with 1.074. The expected ABV is 6.7% but I have 8.7%. What could have happened?

Did you mix the water enough to get a true reading? With extract kits its impossible to get way more then that . The conversion is already done . There is usually a min and max prediction on the instructions like expected OG of 1.062 - 1.068 ect.... my guess is you didnt mix it well

It came with LME to start then 3lbs of DME half way through. It was mixed very thoroughly. Would shorting it one gallon of water have made that difference? I don’t think that happened but possibly

Yes those kits are designed for a specific Og / Fg and batch size . So if you added less water its gonna make it stronger and if you add more water it will dilute.

Yes those kits are designed for a specific Og / Fg and batch size . So if you added less water its gonna make it stronger and if you add more water it will dilute.
I’m using a 6.5 gallon big mouth bubbler, it has 6 dash marks on the side, was I wrong to assume those are gallon marks?

I’m using the tilt hydrometer, it was calibrated fine when I put it in and it has seemed to be on track the whole time but it did make a big jump today. So maybe it’s possible that it is malfunctioning and giving me that reading.

Ok , so with extract 5 gallon you should have had 3 gallons in your pot , added steeping grains if neccessary then boiled for 1 hr. When your wort was cool enough to put in your fermenter you should have then added 2 gallons or so of cool water to make 5 gallons and stir to mix . Then take a reading using a hydrometer.

Use a regular hydrometer . That's the only way to really get a pin point number. I have zero experience with a tilt , although I'd like one .

Back