brew jacket immersion, any one get yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All beers once fermented are acidic (pH lower than 7). Most beer will be between 4.0 and 4.6 (measured at room temperature) , with sour beers such as Lambics being even lower.

Kal

Do you think boiling in distilled water will re-hydrate the anodized layer? Anyone?

Zero chance!!! Anodizing involves submersing the aluminum in to an approximately 15% sulfuric bath and running an electrical current through it. It can be dipped into a caustic bath to strip it and then it can be anodized again. Look for metal plating shops in your area and ask them to give you a quote to strip it, anodize it and seal it. Hope this helps.

The more I think about it, I'm guessing the rod wasn't sealed properly. I highly doubt the beer ate through the nickel seal and the anodic coating. That is my opinion but it's been a while since I managed an anodizing line and lab. If you find a metal plating shop you can ask them to do a black dye stain on the upper part. It involves putting a drop of diluted acid on the rod and then a drop of black stain. If the stain comes off it's sealed properly. If it stains the metal then it wasn't properly sealed.

You can also ask them to check the anodic coating thickness on the upper part of the rod and then contact brewjacket to see what their specs are. I would also make them aware of your issue and everyone else who had this problem. They might be getting out of spec rods from their supplier.

Lastly, I actually bought one of these also and it's sitting in a Cerveza right now so I will be curious how mine comes out. I will report here as soon as I keg it.

I remember seeing on their website or something that it is a "Hard Anodize" vs. a normal anodize. I'm under the impression that it means it's just thicker anodize, but I could be wrong.
It would be interesting to know how normal this is? And if so, how much do they sell new rods for?

What do brewjacket say? i think they have a users forum on their site.

I received this reply from Brewjacket support yesterday.

Your rod actually looks very normal.
That buildup you see is yeast and proteins from your beer, and is very difficult to get off without a lot of hard labor.
The good news is, you should not need to as it has almost no effect on heat transfer.

When the buildup does become heavier, we recommend using soap and water, baking, or boiling (yes boiling just the section with the buildup is OK)

What you would want to be concerned about with your rod, is any kind of scratching or pitting.
Basically any major difference is the texture of the surface where bacteria could accumulate.

BrewJacket Support

I cleaned the rod again last night with soap, water and a dish towel, which didn't noticeably change the look. I guess I'll just keep brewing with it and see how things go. Hoping to make a brown ale next weekend.

Thanks for all the replies to my question!

I received this reply from Brewjacket support yesterday.

Your rod actually looks very normal.
That buildup you see is yeast and proteins from your beer, and is very difficult to get off without a lot of hard labor.
The good news is, you should not need to as it has almost no effect on heat transfer.

When the buildup does become heavier, we recommend using soap and water, baking, or boiling (yes boiling just the section with the buildup is OK)

What you would want to be concerned about with your rod, is any kind of scratching or pitting.
Basically any major difference is the texture of the surface where bacteria could accumulate.

BrewJacket Support

I cleaned the rod again last night with soap, water and a dish towel, which didn't noticeably change the look. I guess I'll just keep brewing with it and see how things go. Hoping to make a brown ale next weekend.

Thanks for all the replies to my question!

I brewed a second beer with the immersion chiller to keep the bucket temp at 67 for two weeks (an America Brown Ale). It seemed to work fine at keeping the temp at 67 degrees in a house with an ambient temp of 74-ish. I pulled the rod last night and washed it.

Now the level of the brown ale was higher by about 4 inches than the level of the first beer, the mixed fermentation saison. The area where the brown ale touched above the saison mark did not change in color or feel (feels sort of slick to the touch just like when it arrived). The grayed area where the saison had touched was still grayed and not smooth to the touch. I wouldn't say the surface was rough but it wasn't slick.

Wondering if I should try to recondition it or just keep using it as is.

Okay, I finally kegged my first batch using the brewjacket it's been a while since I posted but between work, vacation and boozin it took some time. I bought mine used off a member here who supposedly used it one time. I attached a picture. Mine has a discoloration line on it. The line is well below my fermentation line of my brew. Seeing that there is no discoloration up where my beer was I assume that the person I bought it off of didn't sanitize it properly. I used idophor and the discoloration wasn't at the level of my fermentation.

If the anodic coating wasn't sealed properly due to insufficient contact time, insufficient temperature or to low of a nickel acetate concentration the whole rod should be discolored.

Yeast and proteins won't "build up" on the rod if properly cleaned. That's bull crap. Based on my past anodizing experience and looking at my rod. I'd say the discoloration is due to improper sanitation per specification. Now having said this my rod with the discoloration performed as expected.

IMG_1183.jpg

Okay, I finally kegged my first batch using the brewjacket it's been a while since I posted but between work, vacation and boozin it took some time. I bought mine used off a member here who supposedly used it one time. I attached a picture. Mine has a discoloration line on it. The line is well below my fermentation line of my brew. Seeing that there is no discoloration up where my beer was I assume that the person I bought it off of didn't sanitize it properly. I used idophor and the discoloration wasn't at the level of my fermentation.

If the anodic coating wasn't sealed properly due to insufficient contact time, insufficient temperature or to low of a nickel acetate concentration the whole rod should be discolored.

Yeast and proteins won't "build up" on the rod if properly cleaned. That's bull crap. Based on my past anodizing experience and looking at my rod. I'd say the discoloration is due to improper sanitation per specification. Now having said this my rod with the discoloration performed as expected.

I also used idophor solution on my immersion chiller rod before the first brew and mine has a similar discoloration. So I don't think it's from improper sanitation in my case. I also cleaned it well with a water, dish soap and a soft cloth after use. So I don't think the discoloration is yeast build up. It's a mystery to me. My chiller worked as expected on that first brew and the second. Wish it wasn't discolored but I guess I'll just keep using it.

Back