Brew Day Tomorrow - Check My Work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Active seems to have settled down as the bubbles are fewer and farther between. I pitched at 68° and the garage is holding at a pretty solid 62°-64° during the day, 58°-60° at night, so I'm not super concerned about temperature - tomorrow's supposed to be a freak Hot Day so into the bathtub the bucket will go.

Smells sweet, strong and boozy. I might be getting a *very faint* banana smell, but I imagine that's either normal esters or my brain playing tricks on me.

Last edited:
Picked up a new Fermometer last night and slapped it on. Fermentation temp seems to be holding at about 66-68° so I'm not going to worry further about the airlock smells.

Accidentally bumped the lid of the fermenter. Not enough to let air in but enough to get a puff of something through the airlock. It smells like beer! No weird smells, just smells like beer. Can't believe I have to wait a few more weeks to drink this stuff.

Get another one started so it will be ready when this one is about gone.....

I'm going to do an MO/Amarillo SMaSH next, I think. My LHBS is starting to get shipments of fresh Amarillo hops - their website says they are sold out but I'm hoping I can score some on another shipment as they are $9.50/lb.

I also have a recipe I'm kicking around for an NEIPA but don't have a kegging setup. Fortunately, the guy on craigslist from whom I bought my Mash Tun is giving away a broken kegerator. I could likely fix it, and Free is a very good price. :D

I'm pretty thrilled that I appear to have not messed this thing up. It smells great.

Couldn't resist and took a one week gravity reading and sample. Definitely tastes a little "green" and I'm sure it will sweeten up and mellow out after bottle conditioning, but it's really nice. A lot of toastiness and a deep brown color. I am at 1.021 after one week at fermentation temps between 64-68 (minus a brief stint at 70), down from 1.069. I'm gonna leave it alone for another week.

I had some banana esters in a stout when I pitched the yeast in the high 70's (one of my first few brews)... it was actually pretty good... tasted like banana bread or something... not something I shoot for but whatever... mine was similar OG to yours if I remember correctly...

Well, I've been out for two weeks with a herniated disk, which sure has dampened my resolve to haul this bucket around and take samples. That said, I am planning to bottle on Sunday (three weeks plus one day in primary at 66-68 degrees). What's the easiest way to sanitize your bottles? I've got star san, but I've also got an oven and a dishwasher with a "sanitize" function (though I don't know if I trust it). I'm seeing lots of options and figure I'd ask y'all directly. I plan to sanitize the bottles tomorrow and then bottle on Sunday morning.

When I bottle I just soak them in star san in a bucket or tote while I'm racking to my bottling bucket... then I just pull 6 or twelve out at a time while I'm bottling... so they all stay in star san right up until I bottle... I just pull them out... and drain and shake out as much star san as I can... then fill em and cap em... I used to use on of those sprayer things and a tree, etc, etc, but I've found my lazy soak and fill method works just fine... that's assuming you've already cleaned and rinsed your bottles...

Well, I've been out for two weeks with a herniated disk, which sure has dampened my resolve to haul this bucket around and take samples. That said, I am planning to bottle on Sunday (three weeks plus one day in primary at 66-68 degrees). What's the easiest way to sanitize your bottles? I've got star san, but I've also got an oven and a dishwasher with a "sanitize" function (though I don't know if I trust it). I'm seeing lots of options and figure I'd ask y'all directly. I plan to sanitize the bottles tomorrow and then bottle on Sunday morning.

I use a Vinator and Starsan. I spritz each bottle and put in the bottom rack of my dishwasher, bottling bucket on counter above. Door catches the drips.

I would NOT sanitize one day and bottle the next. Maybe, if you used the dishwasher cycle then left it closed until you bottle.
Definitely not with Starsan. Once dry it is no longer staying sanitary.

Cool, thanks. Did a gravity reading yesterday and this morning. It's holding steady at 1.013, lower than the 1.017 predicted. Tastes pretty good, too!

Cool, thanks. Did a gravity reading yesterday and this morning. It's holding steady at 1.013, lower than the 1.017 predicted. Tastes pretty good, too!

Pretty close. FG predictions are just that, predictions based on calculations and averages. I also say that there is a margin of error in just reading a hydrometer.

Cool. The fun part is that, if the calculator I'm using is correct, 1.069 down to 1.013 gives me an ABV of almost 7.4%. It is, truly, Big Boy Season.

Sounds like it is coming out good so far.
I think there were some potential weird things going on on brew day though. Getting volumes and temps and everything right can take some experience; here is what I do:

1) Calculate strike water volume, and heat strike water to about 5 degrees over my target temp (target temp before adding grain that is). Example: I want to mash at 152 and my calculator says the water should start at 162. I'll heat the water to ~167 and then put it in the mash tun. I gave up on preheating the mashtun... never saw any repeatable benefit from it.
2) Check the temp of the strike water after transfer, hopefully it is just a degree or two high and I can vigorously stir for a minute or two to get it just right.
3) Add grains, confirm the mash temp, and mash.
4) During the mash, heat up the sparge water to ~180 and put it in the hot liquor tank.
5) At the end of the mash, add a gallon or two of sparge water to the mashtun, give it a gentle stir for a minute or so.
6) Drain out the mashtun into the kettle until it is empty.
7) Check volume in the kettle. Subtract this from your desired preboil volume. Add that much sparge water to the mashtun. Give it a gentle stir and let it sit for a few minutes.
8) Drain out the mashtun again, into the kettle. This should get you to the right preboil volume. For a 5 gallon batch, this is likely 7 gallons and some change, but correct preboil volume should be calculated beforehand. Again, it might take some experience with your exact equipment to get this perfect.
9) Stir the contents of the kettle (wort is in the kettle) and take a preboil gravity sample. The stir here is important because the wort will layer with more sugar on the bottom during the drain, so if you don't stir here you won't get an accurate gravity measurement.
10) Boil. You should be boiling off roughly one gallon per hour from a 5 gallon batch. As mentioned, if it is much more than that you are boiling too hard.
11) Post boil, take your Original Gravity sample (This is original, not final), cool, ferment, etc.

You CAN add water to the kettle or fermenter if your volumes were low, but figure out what happened for next time so you don't have to do that in the future.

I remember my first batch too, but if you can avoid the urge to mess with it every couple days, you'll be better off.
Good luck!

Yeah, the problems I had were, fortunately, easy ones to address in my next batch - forgetting to re-calculate how hot the mash/sparge water would need to be on a significantly colder day than expected when brewing outdoors, accidentally using 50% too much sparge water, underestimating trub loss, and boiling too hard.

Well, I am recovering from emergency back surgery but I gave my friend who helped me out permission to try his out without me (we split the bottles evenly) and he was quite pleased. So now I'm triply excited.

Great news, everyone: it totally rips. The hops balance perfectly with the roastiness of the chocolate malt and wheat, the head is out of control, and there's just enough sweetness to mask the high ABV. Can't wait to see what it's like after a few more months, assuming I have the sense to not drink it all.

xLMt0Hy.jpg

Hello again! Emergency back surgery sidelined me from making new batches for a few months, but I'm cleared to lift buckets and coolers again. Five out of five people have told me this is one of the best porters they've had and I'm excited to refine it further.

I'm thinking about making this one again in the near future (after a SMaSH of some sort) and have managed to procure some organic cacao nibs. Let's say I want to add those to this for some extra chocolate. I found a writeup that says 4oz for a 5gal batch in secondary - so, rack into secondary after primary is done, toss them in a mesh bag, and wait? Or can I just add them to primary, since I didn't do secondary?

Back