Porter W/Oak Cubes & Bourbon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
I made a porter that's been in the primary for two weeks, and am thinking about aging for a while with oak and bourbon. I have 3oz of Hungarian oak cubes and as much bourbon as needed. My quandry(s):

- Transfer from primary to secondary for oaking, or leave in primary, or transfer to keg and do oaking there?
- How many ounces of oak cubes for 5 gallons? How much bourbon to soak them in? How long?
-What's the square root of 43? Never mind, not as important as the first two questions....

I'm pretty happy so far with the way my barleywine is coming along which I have aging on bourbon soaked American oak. What I did is soak the oak (2 ounces of cubes) for two weeks in bourbon, just enough to fully cover the oak. I then drained the bourbon (saved it to drink) and added just the oak to secondary. I sampled it a couple days ago at the 1 month mark and its coming asking nicely. I've got a hint of bourbon and the oak is starting to show through as well. I think I'll let it go on the oak a few more weeks before sampling it again.

i just brewed a bourbon barrel porter recipe from northern brewer...fermented in the primary for 10 days, then racked to a secondary on top of 2 oz of oak cubes and 16 oz makers mark bourbon and let it sit about three more weeks. bottled that hog a couple days ago and it tasted pretty dang good.

Back