persimmons.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg595

Reaction score
I have 8 big persimmon trees in my yard. Anyone know how to make persimmon brandy or wine out of real persimmon.

I am on the hunt for a great persimmon wine recipe. Surely someone can help out.

I've found a few on line but I don't know if they'll be any good. And I don't really know how to use freash fruit to make wine.
And its a waste to just let them rot. They are sweet and soft. Me and the wife eat them

You dont need a recipe if you have a hydrometer and can test the acid levels. Persimons dont have much acid so you can use a lot, they do have pectin so you need pectinase. Take all your ripe persimmons, smash them up, add just enough water to make a slurry, add pectinase and stir real good, let set overnight, strain pulp off, you are not going to get all of it,, add a little sulfite to protect it from oxidizing and add some nutrients, a wine yeast like Pasteur Champagne should do it very well. It will probably throw off a lot of sediment so if you want 5 gallons start with 7 gal of must. I wouldnt raise the gravity to much more than 1.095. Your choice of dry or sweet. I have planted 10 persimmon trees last year, hoping I have a go at this myself from my own trees! WVMJ

That's one thing I'm working on getting. A hydrometer. I'm kinda just starting out and trying different wines and Meads. So I don't have all the right stuff yet. But I'm working on getting the stuff.
I don't really understand the gravity thing. Is the 1.095 a high level or a low level of sugar. Or whatever it is. And what is the range to stay between?

So in other words. You wouldn't want the gravity to drop below 1.000 at the end of fermentation.

YOu can freeze your fruit while you wait to get a hydrometer, without it you will have NO idea what is going on, wether you added to much sugar or honey at the start, when its done, how much to backsweeten etc all rests on the hydrometer. Your gravity can go below water since alcohol is less dense than water, dont worry about that yet, get your hydrometer first. WVMJ

So in other words. You wouldn't want the gravity to drop below 1.000 at the end of fermentation.

Will do. I hope to have a hydrometer this week. Seems like that a key tool in wine making.
I don't have any persimmons yet. Its the wrong time of the year where I'm at. But when fall comes around again. Ill have a yard full. The trees I have are big trees.

You someova! I made a persimmon mead about four years ago when I had access to some from a farmer that gave me her personal stash. I froze them until I could afford enough honey for a 5 gallon batch of mead. That freaking mead came out so wonderful it was gone before it ever really aged out. We couldnt keep or hands off of it.

I cant find that recipe but it was an upgrade from the calros rossi bottle experiement. My notes are a little lacking because I had 8 going and was working long hours then. I think i started with six persimmons, frozen /thawed/pureed, 4 lbs honey, and pasteur champagne yeast from RedStar. I remember it being slighty cinnamony, very tasty, and immediately gone. Sorry for the crappy notes.

No problem. I understand what your saying. It makes since to me. I just have to wait till fall now. Where I'm at where in spring now.

Back