Taking a keg on a trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Ok we are headed out camping tomorrow. I've had a kolsh in the frig on co2 for a week to get it good and carbed.

My question is I have to transport it in the back of the pickup. Will the beer retain its carbonation even though its going to get good and warm by the time we get to our destination. I wasn't planning on pulling it out until it was time to go but not sure what's the best way of handling this

As long as you don't vent off gas from the keg, the CO2 has nowhere to escape. Sure, the agitation and the temperature will make some of it come out of solution, but it will just build up in the headspace. When you cool it back down, it will gradually go back into solution (may take a day at cold temps?).

The other thing to think about with transporting a keg is disturbing sediment and clouding up that kolsch.
I would suggest you transfer into a clean and sanitized keg in the future so you leave the sediment behind.

You probably don't have time to transfer it now, because doing that slightly degasses it and you don't have an extra day to let it get back to the desired carb level. You could always do that with higher pressure and shaking it but that's tricky to hit a certain level of carbonation reliably.

Have fun camping! I miss that.

Earlier this year i took a keg on an ice fishing trip. It was packed upright in the back of a van for 10 hours. Got to our cabin, set it outside in the 15F temp for a few hours, then brought it back inside. We set it in a trash can with minimal ice and it poured and tasted just the same as it would out of my keezer.

I think you'll be just fine if you can get it chilled down again a few hours before you want to serve/consume

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not worried about the cloudiness, when I racked the beer, I only racked 4 1/2 gallons to the keg, I leg the last half gallon alone so no sediment was really disturbed; I mean it came out crystal clear.

The fermentation vessel wasn't moved one iota before I racked it so what settled to the bottom stayed on the bottom.

I guess I could try to load it inside the truck and with the A/C on it wouldn't get above say 74 or 75 degrees for the most part until we arrived at our destination. Only gone for the weekend so I'd hate to have to wait a full day for it to recarb...

I also had a new picnic tap made (10' length) so I can keep any foaming to a minimum.

How long is your trip? I have done this on a trip to the lake (about 45 min in 90 degree heat) and put it on ice when we arrived. We were drinking it within 2 hours with no issues.

Three hours I won't be leaving until this evening, I took it off the gas last night so I could load up the CO2 tank but left it in the cooler (tapped frig) at 34 degrees. I won't pul it out until I go to load it which will be the last thing I load.

You could put it in a 5 gallon bucket with ice just to be safe. Stop half and add more ice

Thanks for the suggestions I'll plan things better the next time including dispensing the beer

Someone dropped the picnic tap and left the valve open just a hair so over night the keg was almost empty

I would crank the psi up to 30 for the trip to account for the temperature change. Then when u get it back on ice put it back down to 10-12 or whatever u had it at but I'm sure you won't lose much carbonation anyways.

BMClark2210 said:
I would crank the psi up to 30 for the trip to account for the temperature change. Then when u get it back on ice put it back down to 10-12 or whatever u had it at but I'm sure you won't lose much carbonation anyways.

Once beer is carbed temperature will not change that a little will come out to fill head space but will be absorbed again once it is chilled

beaksnbeer said:
Once beer is carbed temperature will not change that a little will come out to fill head space but will be absorbed again once it is chilled

I know this and understand the all the gas laws but It's not gonna reabsorbed in 10 mins if it did then forced carbonating would take mins vs days.

I know this and understand the all the gas laws but It's not gonna reabsorbed in 10 mins if it did then forced carbonating would take mins vs days.

OP stated that the beer has been on CO2 for a week already so my response is based on the already carbed so should be fine in an hour or so to chill down to temp.

Back