Do you need starters for 5 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of reading Brewing Classic Styles and I'm looking at a Weizen section. The recipe "Harold-Is Weizen" calls for 2 liquid yeast packages or an appropriate starter. What is confusing to me is the yeast section says fresh liquid yeast packages are fine for 5 gal batches with a OG of 1.048 or less. Well this Weizen's OG is 1.050.

So my question is - do I have to make a starter for this or not based on what they recommend on the yeast side....vs what they are recommending in the actual recipe. While the recipe might have won an award, it says it's balanced between banana and clove....looking at the BJCP it mentions that the best examples are "reasonably balanced and fairly prominent".

So based on that, it can be a strong flavored - but it must be balanced. To me, the best Hefe's are Ayinger and Weihenstephaner. Both are pretty fruity and it would be interesting to see how they view them in terms of "balance". Ayinger's Brau-Weisse has won numbers Word Beer Championships in the weizen category...and if it goes by by BJCP guidelines - then I guess it's balanced.

Can anyone straighten me out? My main question is do I pitch more than one liquid yeast package for a 5 gal batch?

Thanks.

Use some calculators like yeastcalc.com or mrmalty.com to determine the correct pitch rate or your volume and gravity. They will also help you size your starter.

Both wyeast and whites labs support not using starters, and you can make good beer that way. Making a starter and pitching the ideal amount of yeast gives you a better chance of making great beer. That is my take on it.

Hefeweizen is one style of beer that can benefit from a bit of yeast stress- pitch a vial, you'll be fine.

Brulosopher said:
Hefeweizen is one style of beer that can benefit from a bit of yeast stress- pitch a vial, you'll be fine.

+1 - the "off flavors" you get from hefe yeast are a desired trait. You want those babies to grow like crazy, so under pitching is ok.

Back