O2 Infusion Kit Fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy_Bugger

Reaction score
I recently bought a Fermentap O2 infusion kit with a 5 micron stone. Bought the red Benzomatic O2 tank from the Home Depot.

I go to use it for the first time yesterday and the effing thing didn't work. :mad:

I screwed it on as tight as it would go, opened the valve and ZERO oxygen was released. Then, I removed the stone, submersed the tube in some water, opened the valve and not even one bubble was produced.

Did I get a dud regulator or am I doing something wrong? I can't imagine there is more to it than screwing on the regulator and opening the valve.

I suppose I could have purchased an empty O2 tank, but I doubt it.

I have had issues, until I learned one trick- boil the stone in distilled water, let it air dry overnight, then wrap it in paper towel.

Hook everything up, turn on the oxygen, and don't turn off the oxygen until you're done aerating and the beer is rinsed off the stone.

Apparently even hop oils can clog a stone, they're very sensitive.

Since I started doing this, not a single issue and I get gorgeous bubbles in my wort every time.

I have had issues, until I learned one trick- boil the stone in distilled water, let it air dry overnight, then wrap it in paper towel.

Hook everything up, turn on the oxygen, and don't turn off the oxygen until you're done aerating and the beer is rinsed off the stone.

Apparently even hop oils can clog a stone, they're very sensitive.

Since I started doing this, not a single issue and I get gorgeous bubbles in my wort every time.

This is good to know, but he removed the stone and still didn't get air.

I use a regulator from a torch kit and like raouliii said, it has to be WAY open before it is open. But I'm guessing you probably opened it all the way, so who knows?

If I was you, I would probably buy another O bottle (you will need it anyway) and test that just to make sure the one you already have isn't empty. If that fails, and there are no obstructions, kinks in the hose, I would assume the regulator is bad.

I suspect that occasionally a tank will leak down or go empty while still on the store shelf.

The last new one I purchased (Worthington) only worked about 15 seconds and that was it.

I took it back to Lowe's and they exchanged it with a replacement.

Yeah, you might have pulled a dud O2 can from the shelf but I also have to open mine almost all the way to get any output...give that a try.

I definitely opened the valve all the way and the regulator was screwed on as tight as it could be. It made zero bubbles even without the stone and the filter.

I'll pick up another o2 tank and give that a try. If that doesn't work, I'll have to return the regulator.

I suspect that occasionally a tank will leak down or go empty while still on the store shelf.

The last new one I purchased (Worthington) only worked about 15 seconds and that was it.

I took it back to Lowe's and they exchanged it with a replacement.

A lot of people returned stuff to Lowes/Home Depot after they've used it and it gets put on the shelf. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to get an empty tank. It would, however, piss me off.

A lot of people returned stuff to Lowes/Home Depot after they've used it and it gets put on the shelf. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to get an empty tank. It would, however, piss me off.

That's exactly what happened. I bought a tank with zero O2 because some dickwad wanted a free tank and Home Depot doesn't check the tanks before returning them to inventory. They need to wrap the tanks in plastic. :cross:

My new tank works. One thing that concerned me a bit was a sulfur smell that escaped from the tank as I released the regulator. That can't be good for my beer.

One question remains. How far should I open the regulator? I tested it in a clear flask full of water. If I open the valve all the way, it's quite turbulent. Water jumped out of the nearly full flask. Should I open it up just enough to get bubbles coming out of the stone or do I let it rip?

Return the original bottle. One thing about Home Depot is they will literally take anything back, no questions asked.

I returned it.

I set it down on the counter and the lady said "is that empty"?

Apparently, it's a common theme at my HD.

This is good to know, but he removed the stone and still didn't get air.

I use a regulator from a torch kit and like raouliii said, it has to be WAY open before it is open. But I'm guessing you probably opened it all the way, so who knows?

If I was you, I would probably buy another O bottle (you will need it anyway) and test that just to make sure the one you already have isn't empty. If that fails, and there are no obstructions, kinks in the hose, I would assume the regulator is bad.

Whoops, missed that!:drunk:

Back