starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyoast

Reaction score
Just built a stir plate and getting into making starters, harvesting yeast ect,, Is it necessary to step up a yeast starter- 1L,2L ect.. or can you just make a 1.5L or 2L yeast starter from a single vial?? The reason why I'm asking is I plan to harvest yeast from my starters from here on out for future use.

thanks in advance

wyoast said:
Just built a stir plate and getting into making starters, harvesting yeast ect,, Is it necessary to step up a yeast starter- 1L,2L ect.. or can you just make a 1.5L or 2L yeast starter from a single vial?? The reason why I'm asking is I plan to harvest yeast from my starters from here on out for future use.

thanks in advance

I make my starters and account for 500ml more. After the first step, while still in suspension, I will pour 500 ml into a sanitized mason jar, crash, decant and then step up to complete for pitch rate.

Essentially harvesting each starter. I'll allow that to crash, decant and then store the yeast in a smaller jelly jar.

So I take that as a yes? there is enough in a single vial to pitch straight into a 1.5 or 2L starter without stepping up?

thanks for your input..

wyoast said:
So I take that as a yes? there is enough in a single vial to pitch straight into a 1.5 or 2L starter without stepping up?

thanks for your input..

Visit Www.yeastcalc.com and plug in the numbers for your batch including the date of your vial to verify pitch rate required. If necessary adjust for the extra 500ml you want to harvest.

Back