proper carbonation at 59-64F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
I brewed a milk stout and left in the the primary for 50 days, then bottled with standard priming sugar. It fermented at 62-64F. After bottling, the ambient temp dropped to 59F. I moved the bottles to another location in the basement with the temp at around 64F. Although I have not tested one, I am concerned that a significant amount of the yeast went dormant after the long ferment and then initial cold temps in the bottle.

Anybody have this experience? Should I get them someplace warmer for a few days to make certain that they will carb up properly? The basement temp is relatively constant. The brew has been in the bottles for about 10 days. I figure 3 weeks minimum before I open one but just curious.

Thanks.

It really depends on the yeast. Some can tolerate the 50s just fine (they just work more slowly), but others will pretty much irreversibly go dormant. Only way to know is to open one of the babies up.

Try and get it to at least 70 degrees. Some people prefer 72 as well. I've had issues getting them to an area above 68 and it took awhile for mine.

Someone posted this on here awhile back to show the benefits of extended bottle conditioning at higher temps. I'd imagine the lower the temperature, the longer it will take for this too carb effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crack one and see. You can recap if you don't want to drink it yet. I've never had an issue in the low 60s.

Most likely they would still carbonate at the lower temperatures but it will take a LOT longer than the recommended 3 weeks at 70F so if you can place the bottles somewhere warmer you will need to be less patient:)

I used WLP004, Irish Ale yeast. I believe optimal temp is 65-68F, for fermentation. I was not worried about staying in the low end for my ferment because of the long time I let it sit. I guess the real issue is what temp do the yeast do dormant? Optimal is a pretty narrow range, but "adequate" could be totally different.

I'll crack one open in a week and see. I prefer my stouts with minimal carbonation anyway, so no concerns about recapping...I'll just dispose of it properly.

Latest posts

Back