My dog ate my hops!...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered a couple rhizomes to try my hand (or green thumb) at growing some hops. Planted & watered them and began the wait, expecting to water them again in a week as per the instructions.

Fast forward through a busy week at work, family time with SWMBO & 3 kids, etc. Then, noticed the other day there was a big indent in my newly converted hop garden roughly the size of my 75lb Husky/Akita/something else mixed dog...the SOB had eaten my hop rhizomes! He's a knucklehead but he's my knucklehead...and he's protective of the wife & kids so I'll have to forgive him!

Anything "Husky" should be protected with concrete & steel. No exceptions and I speak from many many years of experience!

thunder-big.JPG

This is a pretty serious but funny thread. I had bought a few rhizomes with the intention of planting this year, but read all about how dangerous hops are to dogs. They get hyperthermia from it, evidently. Given that our dachshund has a higher (figurative) position in the family than I do, I dare not proceed.

Sure glad it didn't hurt your fury friend. My beagle goes nuts when she gets any kind of a sniff of hops almost as if its a piece of meat, so I'm very carefull even with the empty bags the hops come in

I think only the hop cones are the toxic part. If anything bad was going to happen, it probably would have by now. Sucks that you lost your rhizomes though.

Same thing happened to me (only this dog is 1/2 Beagle 1/2 Boston terrier). Just lost 2 Nugget and 1 Galena as they were starting to poke through the dirt. The dog is definitively my wife's. Didn't really realize the plants were in danger. Now I know better. I may have to raise them in posts in the front yard until they get bigger. Luckily I just got some more rhizomes in by mail.

Just follow him around with a baggie for a few days. I think Cheech and Chong did a similar bit back in the day.

The bit you're thinking of was the Adventures of Ralph & Herbie. Also the adventures of Pedro & the Man. It's on you tube. But to quote Chong; "Oh hohoho wow,man! Gee.I hope he's not busy for about a month"? :D Those rhysomes would be like catnip to a cat for him. I have to be careful with Zoe,a female collie cross with long legs & big feet for a chick. She sniffs around when I strain the hop gunk out of my chilled wort & bag it for disposal. Doggy crack maybe?:mug:

My dogs killed two of my crowns when I was rearranging my garden. My dogs where fine. Dogs do like roots and twigs to chew on

Sure glad it didn't hurt your fury friend. My beagle goes nuts when she gets any kind of a sniff of hops almost as if its a piece of meat, so I'm very carefull even with the empty bags the hops come in

Dognip.........

Korean ale?

That's good........ You get that distinctive "funky" wet dog flavor............ And the added bonus of fishing the carcass out for boiled pup. That's the way we do it on the res....

H.W.

Hey guys, sounds like you were lucky with your dog, that's awesome!! I wasn't so luckly with mine who ate some spent hops that were in my yard. Our 17 month old Doberman puppy just passed away from Malignant Hyperthermia caused by hop ingestion. Hops seems to affect different breeds more severely than others but if you're growing hops, brewing beer with hops (as if there were any other way) be careful! It's not worth losing your best friend over something that is so preventable, if you know that your dog at hops take them to the vet immediately and tell them what happened. Our dog started panting heavily about 4-6 hours after ingesting them and died shortly after exhibiting these symptoms - do not wait for your dog to show any signs as by then it could be too late.

Chocolate isn't good for them either. We had some spicy chocolate chili for dinner back when our female collie/terrier Zoe was getting old. Long legs & big feet for a chick. But she got sick & there was nothing the vet could do for her. Poor thing, she was given some small amount for a snack, but it was enough to do the deed. So no hops & chocolate, folks!...:(

There are a number of human foods one should not give to dogs & even in small amounts can be fatal (even to large breeds)

No hops,chocolate,onions,garlic,macadamia nuts (6 of these will kill any size dog),caffeine,salt,alcohol,avocado,chicken bones. Also, liver if given to a dog regularly will kill it.(3 times a week is too much. Has something to do with them being unable to process out the a vitamin or iron in it quikly enough so it builds up to toxic levels.

Play it safe with the puppys around.

There are a number of human foods one should not give to dogs & even in small amounts can be fatal (even to large breeds)

No hops,chocolate,onions,garlic,macadamia nuts (6 of these will kill any size dog),caffeine,salt,alcohol,avocado,chicken bones. Also, liver if given to a dog regularly will kill it.(3 times a week is too much. Has something to do with them being unable to process out the a vitamin or iron in it quikly enough so it builds up to toxic levels.

You can add grapes/raisins to that list.

It's weird how some dogs seem to be more tolerant, known lots of dogs that regularly drank beer and ate onions or chocolate...

The onion thing especially my dads boxer used to love onions (we didn't know they were harmful) he hates that we found out I think because he hasn't gotten one since we discovered they were poisonous to dogs. I believe immediate cardiac arrest is possible with the onions.

Avocado isn't dangerous to dogs, and is in fact an ingredient in some dog foods.

Chicken bones are perfectly fine if they're raw. Cooked bones are a no-no.

One of the issues is many take liberties and add things to the list of harmful foods for dogs... they assume or hear stories from others who assume or remembered wrong.. and then you fight the uphill battle against ignorance hearing comments like "Naa I give my dog chocolate all the time, he loves it"

I hate hearing friends talk about giving there dogs beer ... Some people just arent that bright I guess. Darwinism isnt very rewarding to see when someone is harming someone other then themselves...

Not knowing and making a mistake is understandable but just the thought of it all made me do some quick online research.
I used to foster dogs for years and learned a lot about them that way.

I know it pretty corny I even named my first beer after my dog :) Me and him have been through a lot.

Avocado isn't dangerous to dogs, and is in fact an ingredient in some dog foods.

Chicken bones are perfectly fine if they're raw. Cooked bones are a no-no.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2009/11/ask-a-vet-avocado-dog-food.html

"Unleashed: I've heard that avocados are bad for dogs, but I also see avocado dog food on the shelves. What’s the deal?

Heather Oxford, DVM: The toxic principle in avocados is called persin, a fatty acid derivative that is highly toxic to birds, horses, guinea pigs, goats and rabbits, among others.

Dogs seem to be less susceptible to the toxic effects; nonetheless, excessive amounts can cause fatal problems with the heart as well as gastrointestinal effects such as vomiting and diarrhea. Persin is located in highest concentrations in the leaves and is likely in the skin in lower concentrations.

Dog foods that utilize avocados for their nutritional value use avocado meal, which is the green fruit between the pit and skin, and avocado oil. Neither of these parts used in dog foods are toxic."

==========================================================
I've had many a vet say that "All bones are a `no-no`"
raw ones can get lodged and cause problems (got a $1500 vet bill to prove it)
cooked ones splinter causing internal puntures which are usually fatal (picture a knife jabbing your pets throat from the inside out)

Why tempt fate/play Russian roulet with your pet.
Don't feed them these things and it will NEVER be a problem.

Alcohol affects dogs the same as humans, just remember they have zero tolerance and weigh less than we do so are affected far greater than we are by smaller amounts. It's easy to kill a dog with alcohol poisoning. Large dogs can handle a lick of beer or two but limit it to that only occasionally.

Back