bottling wine in beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
stupid question maybe, but can you bottle wine in beer bottles? My wife does not drink wine (and therefore I drink very little of it), so the volume in beer bottles makes more sense. Not to mention I have lots of beer bottles. I just found out about plum wine and we have three plum trees so this fall I'm going to try it.
thanks,
scott

I don't know what the "standard" is, but I did it without any noticable difference. I ran out of wine bottles while bottling and so I just filled and capped em like I would with beer, tasted fine.

I have done this with a couple of batches of wine, with both capped and flip-top bottles, no problem, and of course if you want sparkling wine, the way to go.

beer in wine bottles,
will rip the skin off your face.
other way round is fine.

I'm guessing you're using a literary license to make other a single syllable or am I miscounting? I like the Ume liquor/mei jiu linkage.

I've done the same with a mead and cider, some sparkling, some non which seem to be going ok so far, and I'll be doing the same with some wine, non sparkling.

Sure, the presentation factor isn't as nice as using those small 350ml bottles with corks, but it's really just image.

beer in wine bottles,
will rip the skin off your face.
other way round is fine.
really that bad huh?
I think he's saying if you bottle beer in wine bottles it will explode as its carbing up which could be a very dangerous event. There is no danger in bottling wine in beer bottles.

so... I'll just throw my experience in here because there are a few benifits to beer bottles over wine bottles...

a) in the off chance they start carbing again they can hold the pressure much better. And even if they reach the bottle bomb stage, it'll be one wee 12oz bottle giving you a warning of things to come rather than a 750ml bottle going off and rocketing across your kitchen at 2am (see my pictures).

b) bottle caps are WAY cheaper then corks! Like way way way cheaper!

c) if you still like the bigger bottles... beer comes in 22oz and 40oz and most sparkling wine bottles that use regular corks can receive a beer cap.

d) less worries at storage time because you don't have to store them sideways to keep the cork moist, the rubber seal inside is all it takes.

e) For those summery lemonades and other light wines twist offs are the way to go! I don't want to get into a discussion on wheather or not you can re-cap twist offs. You can. I do. I have hundreds of times. Don't start a debate.

f) Yay for outlines!

stupid question maybe, but can you bottle wine in beer bottles? My wife does not drink wine (and therefore I drink very little of it), so the volume in beer bottles makes more sense. Not to mention I have lots of beer bottles. I just found out about plum wine and we have three plum trees so this fall I'm going to try it.
thanks,
scott

Wine in beer bottles is just fine, I do it all the time. They make for great sample bottles. Regards, GF.

Back