Bottling a big English Barley Wine with Kveik yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether I should post this question under Bottling, Fermentation & Yeast, or General Homebrewing. Since I'm primarily concerned with flavor contributions and stability with using this yeast, I thought here might be the best place to ask!

I brewed an 11% barleywine about 35ish days ago and am ready to bottle. I used Nottingham dry yeast to ferment it. My biggest concern is that it ends up going the way my 10% Russian Imperial Stout went--the yeast in the beer pretty much gave up by the time I got to bottling, and I ended up with completely flat/uncarbonated bottles.

I've got plenty of Loki Kveik (Voss) yeast slurry on-hand, and also some dry champagne yeast, and am wondering if either of these would be suitable for an English Barleywine (for the sole sake of bottle conditioning). Since this will be a beer I drink over several years, I want to make sure introducing Kveik isn't a bad idea, or that using a champagne yeast won't create bottle bombs by chewing up any sugars that the Nottingham Dry wouldn't touch. Any thoughts on this?

Nottingham has higher alcohol tolerance and higher attenuation than Loki, so pitching Loki shouldn't accomplish anything. What yeast did you use on your RIS?

Nottingham has higher alcohol tolerance and higher attenuation than Loki, so pitching Loki shouldn't accomplish anything. What yeast did you use on your RIS?
I used Wyeast 1056 on that one. It attenuated well, but completely gave up at bottling. The whole beer was a mess (flavor wise) after having sat in bottles for a year with no carbonation. A couple months ago I went back and opened each bottle, and pitched champagne yeast into each one and re-capped. It carbonated over a few weeks, but the flavor was just terrible at that point so down the drain they went.

I didn't realize Loki petered out around 10% (I checked Imperial's website). Thanks for pointing that out. What yeast would you recommend for bottling? Or would you just rely on enough Nottingham to still be alive and kicking in there?

Personally, I'd trust the Nottingham. It hasn't failed me yet.
Some champagne yeast has lower tolerance than Nottingham but CBC-1 wouldn't be a bad safety net.

Yep, CBC-1 all the way. I've used in it imperial stouts with much success. Kveik is a special type of yeast and I'm a big fan of it myself, but has better uses than bottle conditioning.

Edit: Also, you don't need to use the whole pouch for bottle conditioning, just maybe 1/4-1/2 of it. Any more than that is a waste and will just increase the sludge in the bottom of the bottles. You can save the rest of it for future use.

Back