Bottle cutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of painted bottles from breweries like Stone, Rogue, and some others, and I would like to turn into glasses. I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and which bottle cutter they recommend.
I bought one a while back, but it doesn't work that great. I'll attach a picture.
Is there maybe a better way to do this, or a more fail safe bottle cutter?

41zRckMdcUL._SY300_.jpg

That looks very different from the bottle cutters of the 70's. I haven't done it in many many years, but I remember that some didn't cut cleanly, so keep drinking and saving those bottles, err ya know, just in case. :fro:

Wow. This Way Back Machine of a thread just took me back to a single-wide just outside Vail, CO, in the winter of 1970, and an Earth Mama who had a thing about cutting bottles into glasses.

'Course, having almost immediately carved an eleven stitch gash in the back of my business hand cleaning one of said "glasses", I was decidedly not a fan...

Cheers! ;)

I use to sell candles in cut bottles. I have used that one and it works. Fire works fine and all but I had the best results using hot and cold water. Just heat water on the stove and cold running tap worked fine. Got the fewest spider like heat fractures, which I'd toss for product.

I must be doing something wrong then. I was boiling water on the stove and had cold water in the sink, and I can't get a straight break. Maybe it takes some sort of finesse that I don't have.

Don't boil it.

Try 180 ish. You want a temp difference but I have found that extreme temperature differences are less reliable. Try 180 ish and cool tap, you may have to go back and forth a few times. Again this is just my experience, YMMV. Put it in the hot water, top down to the score, let it get to temp then try the tap water. You may have to go back and forth. Sometimes it pops off in the sink and some times in the pot. I use a candle melting pot on a hot plate. It's been a long time since I did this, but iirc this is the method that made it easy to go through cases of bottles to turn in to candles.

Best of luck! There is a learning curve, but if you can dial in a brewery, you'll dial this too. Just try a lower temp that works for you. I had used ice bathes for the cool water, too. It worked. At least these thing are cheap to try.

I've got a bunch of painted bottles from breweries like Stone, Rogue, and some others, and I would like to turn into glasses. I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and which bottle cutter they recommend.
I bought one a while back, but it doesn't work that great. I'll attach a picture.
Is there maybe a better way to do this, or a more fail safe bottle cutter?

I have the Kinkajou from Bottlecutting.com it works great.

Back