Bottle conditioning a London iii beer with t58?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrub42

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a brown ale ready to bottle that used London iii. I usually add a gram of t58 at bottling, but this beer didn't attenuate too highly (1.052--1.014), and I've had t58 go fairly high in beers in the past even though it's not a SUPER high attenuator. Definitely don't want the beer to overcarb from the bottling yeast.

Think this is a safe? I could just condition with the London iii but t58 is so fast and reliable for conditioning.

Thanks,
Tyler

T-58 wouldn't attenuate more than 1318, but I've had both attenuate in the 77-78%, when treated right. I don't think you'll have issues, but for bottling, I would just use the yeast that you already fermented the beer with, or get yourself some F-2 from Fermentis or CBC-1 from Lallemand.

T-58 wouldn't attenuate more than 1318, but I've had both attenuate in the 77-78%, when treated right. I don't think you'll have issues, but for bottling, I would just use the yeast that you already fermented the beer with, or get yourself some F-2 from Fermentis or CBC-1 from Lallemand.

Yeah, was a bit worried that they are so close in attenuation. With this low ABV I could just condition without extra yeast but t58 is faster.

Re: bottling yeast, Isn't the fermentis one suspected to just be t58? I'll be honest as long as attenuation isn't an issue I don't think there's a way to improve that

Why do you want to add yeast? The yeast in suspension should be sufficient, unless the alcohol content is at its max or the beer was lying around for months.

I brewed a tropical pale ale a month or so ago with 1318. Primed with sugar and bottled with no additional yeast. It was ready to drink in 5 days and had great head retention. I'd just roll with the beer as is, it will be fine. FWIW, I never add extra yeast when I bottle and have never had an issue.

Cheers!

I generally like to add some t58 even at lower abv, as it'll guarantee a fast reliable result. I've had higher abv beers not carbonate well/completely with London iii, and even though this is low, if the t58 won't be a problem I'd definitely add it.

One other thing I've found that makes a huge difference in consistency of carbonation is measuring actual beer volume to be bottled and maximum temperature during fermentation. I'll transfer the beer to the bottling bucket and see how much volume is there before adding my sugar. Then I'll use the calculator on Brewer's friend to calculate the correct amount of sugar needed to achieve the level of carbonation I'm going for. You also need to know the highest temperature the beer got to during fermentation to do this. I'll boil and add the recommended amount of sugar and then bottle. I've found my carbonation level is much better and more consistent using this method over just dumping in the pre-packaged 5 oz of priming sugar.

How does using T58 for conditioning effect the flavor of the finished beer?

It doesn't have any effect on flavor, as the yeast won't produce any esters when used for such a small amount of fermentation. But it does seem to help pack sediment really tightly, and carbonation is lightning fast every time.

I did an 8.5 percent DIPA last month and it was fully carbed up in 3 days at 22 degrees. Couldn't believe it. Although it was fermented with 05/Notty blend and Notty generally conditions well on its own, so can't say 100-percent if the t58 made a difference. London iii is really slow for bottle conditioning, though, and it gives up often once you're above 7 percent, so t58 is a real plus for London iii beers. This particular one didn't attenuate as much as expected, though, so wanted to make sure the t58 wouldn't shave any more points off my fg in the bottle.

One other thing I've found that makes a huge difference in consistency of carbonation is measuring actual beer volume to be bottled and maximum temperature during fermentation. I'll transfer the beer to the bottling bucket and see how much volume is there before adding my sugar. Then I'll use the calculator on Brewer's friend to calculate the correct amount of sugar needed to achieve the level of carbonation I'm going for. You also need to know the highest temperature the beer got to during fermentation to do this. I'll boil and add the recommended amount of sugar and then bottle. I've found my carbonation level is much better and more consistent using this method over just dumping in the pre-packaged 5 oz of priming sugar.

Make sure you factor in a bit of extra co2 in solution if you cold crash. Otherwise you'll get some overcarbonation. There's a bit of guesswork to it but you get the hang of it quickly. I usually just assume an extra .1 or .2 vol in the beer

Back