Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
horsepackage said:
OK I can't find the simply limeaide anywhere around Pittsburgh.. simply lemonaide everywhere just not limeaide.. even target was a no go... help.. anyone found it around here or is there a replacement limeaide I can use

Try Giant Eagle or 711

had to pour a glass to go with dinner tonight. I was going to be taking the keg camping this weekend but the weather has decided that camping wasn't a good idea. That's ok. Means I get to drink more of it myself instead of sharing with 150 people.

2013-05-02214248_zpsde223aca.jpg

GenIke said:
Anyone do a protein rest with this recipe?

It's not needed due to the fact that almost every supplier only carries fully modified grain, so no protein rest is needed.

Slim -

I searched through the thread without much luck, I'm sure the information is in the 90 pages somewhere, search isn't being my friend.

Do you have a recommended carbonation level for this? I'm be popping this into bottles today and was hoping for some guidance.

Per tastybrew, 3.6-4.5 ?

I know I'm not Slim so I'd still wait to see what he says but....

I carbed mine to about 2.3 and that was plenty. 3.6-4.5 would be over carbed from my experience.

KeyWestBrewing said:
I know I'm not Slim so I'd still wait to see what he says but....

I carbed mine to about 2.3 and that was plenty. 3.6-4.5 would be over carbed from my experience.

That sounds good. I don't want to start pushing my bottles limits either. 2.3 is still spritzy enough for this one I bet

atimmerman88 said:
Slim -

I searched through the thread without much luck, I'm sure the information is in the 90 pages somewhere, search isn't being my friend.

Do you have a recommended carbonation level for this? I'm be popping this into bottles today and was hoping for some guidance.

Per tastybrew, 3.6-4.5 ?

Two thoughts on this....carb levels should really be decided by the brewer, I personally like a carbed beer versus one that's kinda flat...however in most cases Hef's are low carbed based on their style. Carb levels also depend on the bottle qualities, if you want higher carbed beers then by a thicker bottle.
Summary carb to what you want and I think Key has given you some good direction.

I've gone to 3 on a hefe before without issues as it seems about right, thanks guys!

This is going to be shared I have a feeling and those folks are used to fizzy yellow pee water

Brewed this for my first garage brew. I was doing half batches on the stove. I ended up short on my preboil gravity and ended up adding about 3/4 pound of DME and a little honey. My og was 1.049 so I got pretty close.

Probably gonna add the limeade tonight or tomorrow morning. Woohoo!

GenIke said:
Brewed this for my first garage brew. I was doing half batches on the stove. I ended up short on my preboil gravity and ended up adding about 3/4 pound of DME and a little honey. My og was 1.049 so I got pretty close.

Probably gonna add the limeade tonight or tomorrow morning. Woohoo!

I caution you not to put the limeade in so quick...3 days usually works best!

I caution you not to put the limeade in so quick...3 days usually works best!

Thanks for the tip. I can wait til tomorrow night which will be 72 hours.

How does the limeade effect the gravity and final abv? Is there a way to guesstimate? Ive been swimming through this thread so I might have missed if anyone already asked.

GenIke said:
Thanks for the tip. I can wait til tomorrow night which will be 72 hours.

How does the limeade effect the gravity and final abv? Is there a way to guesstimate? Ive been swimming through this thread so I might have missed if anyone already asked.

0.5 abv on limeade

Got 3rd place in last month's cap and hare homebrew club monthly master brewer contest last night with this. It was just slightly different from the recipe posted, mainly due to messing up my hop schedule. Same ingredients except for using Wyeast weihenstephan yeast.

Everyone likes this one, it's a great spring/summer beer and the lime/citrus is up front but not over powering and lets the yeast character show through. I plan on brewing this again soon. Already running low. Need to get my kegging system in order.

2a7cf570b77511e2974222000a1fbdac_7.jpg

About to kick my keg of this. I used US-05, with everything else the same. Super high efficiency, so it's over 7.5%. I think I'm gonna have to make it again.

If so, what would you do different? Yeast? Different flavor of juice?

rideincircles said:
Got 3rd place in last month's cap and hare homebrew club monthly master brewer contest last night with this. It was just slightly different from the recipe posted, mainly due to messing up my hop schedule. Same ingredients except for using Wyeast weihenstephan yeast.

Everyone likes this one, it's a great spring/summer beer and the lime/citrus is up front but not over powering and lets the yeast character show through. I plan on brewing this again soon. Already running low. Need to get my kegging system in order.

Congratulations!!!!!

stompbox said:
Do you think I can use all citra hops?

Your the brewer so you can do whatever you want....with citra you will make a good beer, but I promise you that once you follow the recipe, you will make a great beer!!!! Several people on here have deviated, but once the brewed the original recipe they stayed true with it, but it took me a ton of variations to settle on this recipe, so give it a try you might like it!

Went with the original recipe no changes kegged it today after 3 weeks and man it taste fantastic (I like bud light lime it was my furlough beer) man this beer is spot on great lime flavor that's not to bitter that is mellowed out well at the end with a great wheat taste Thanks for the recipe Keep up the great work. :) Prost

Your the brewer so you can do whatever you want....with citra you will make a good beer, but I promise you that once you follow the recipe, you will make a great beer!!!! Several people on here have deviated, but once the brewed the original recipe they stayed true with it, but it took me a ton of variations to settle on this recipe, so give it a try you might like it!

I think I will give it a shot with Citra, just because I have them on hand and I am not sure I can get the hops the recipe calls out for locally right now.

Hopefully I will be able to give this a shot Saturday.

How much volume should you have pre-adding the limeade? The recipe notes it is a 6-gallon recipe, but I am not clear on if this is final or pre-adding limeade.

Howdy all.

I went to add the limeade after almost 3 days of fermentation and I discovered my gravity was already at 1.012. In went the limeade and I replaced the airlock with a blowoff tube in case things got messy. I looked the next morning and there had been no blowoff through the tube. Things should be okay, no? FWIW I couldn't get the Hefe IV and settle for the 3068. I fermented cool (around 64F) to kind of mute the banana ester. Should I bump the temp up some and rouse the yeasties a bit? I ferment in a bucket.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Just bottled mine tonight. I used the lemonade with mango. Took a reading it was fg=1.010 and a sample tasted great but no mango flavor. Next time I might add real mango puree along with the simply lemonaide with mango. Let u know in a few after they carb up in the bottle . This is my 2 nd batch of this. Good stuff

11RileyJ said:
Howdy all.

I went to add the limeade after almost 3 days of fermentation and I discovered my gravity was already at 1.012. In went the limeade and I replaced the airlock with a blowoff tube in case things got messy. I looked the next morning and there had been no blowoff through the tube. Things should be okay, no? FWIW I couldn't get the Hefe IV and settle for the 3068. I fermented cool (around 64F) to kind of mute the banana ester. Should I bump the temp up some and rouse the yeasties a bit? I ferment in a bucket.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

If 64 was your core temp then I would kick it up to 70....but keep in mind, it's probably still making beer, but just a little slower!

Thanks. I guess I was worried that I waited too long to add the limeade and was further concerned when I didn't see any blowoff activity. I suspect everything will be fine. I'm already looking forward to brewing this again with the Hefe IV yeast.

I think I will give it a shot with Citra, just because I have them on hand and I am not sure I can get the hops the recipe calls out for locally right now.

Hopefully I will be able to give this a shot Saturday.

How much volume should you have pre-adding the limeade? The recipe notes it is a 6-gallon recipe, but I am not clear on if this is final or pre-adding limeade.

I am one of the ones slim spoke of who tried to make variations to the recipe but found out that closely following the recipe was much better. However, I have never used the Moteuka hops, I sub in citra and adjust the additions to match the ibu of the moteuka additions. If I am ever at a shop that has Moteuka I'll pick pick some up, but Mine turned out great using citra in it's place. Still used the soraci ace though.

Enjoying this recipe for the second time. Still great, though my LHBS doesn't stock any of the more "exotic" hops so I have to use centennial and cascade :( if anyone else buys from Brewmasters Warehouse, I'd love suggestions for better hop substitutions based on what they stock. I've been experimenting with the "ades" as well. Mixed lemon and lime together in this last batch and boy is it refreshing :drunk:

By the by, anybody got an opinion on whether or not I should get a different vial of hefe yeast to do a plain hefe on account of the zest leftover in my trub/slurry?

wgaylord said:
Enjoying this recipe for the second time. Still great, though my LHBS doesn't stock any of the more "exotic" hops so I have to use centennial and cascade :( if anyone else buys from Brewmasters Warehouse, I'd love suggestions for better hop substitutions based on what they stock. I've been experimenting with the "ades" as well. Mixed lemon and lime together in this last batch and boy is it refreshing :drunk:

By the by, anybody got an opinion on whether or not I should get a different vial of hefe yeast to do a plain hefe on account of the zest leftover in my trub/slurry?

Just wash your yeast!

I'm brewing this recipe this weekend and have the same batch size question. Is the 6 gallon batch size pre or post limeade addition?

Thanks!

chays99 said:
I'm brewing this recipe this weekend and have the same batch size question. Is the 6 gallon batch size pre or post limeade addition?

Thanks!

5 before...6 after

Tasted mine after I bottled on last Thursday. Unreal it is awesome again.this is 2nd batch both came out great. Did it with the lemonaide with mango. The mango didn't come out in the end at all. Oh well. But still a great beer.

Back