New to Yeast Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topdawg2881

Reaction score
Ok, so I recently built a stir plate that works great. I understand that you don't need a whole vortex of the starter wort. I also understand the time it takes to run on the stir plate. I even understand the ratio. But my question is kinda simple. When making a starter I place the calculated amount of DME and water and a pinch of nutrient in the erlenmeyer flask. I than heat to a good rolling boil. The real question is I hear everyone say than cool before adding yeast. How do you go about cooling this mini wort. If you go about using an ice bath is that safe having boiling wort in a glass and than dunking in ice. Am I missing something. Am I better off making starter in pan and than adding to the erlenmeyer flask after cooled? How does everyone else go about this?

It depends on if you have a high quality flask or not. You want a borosilicate glass flask. Those can go from boiling to ice bath. I regularly do this, only I do wait ~5 minutes between. I'm not sure what others do when using non-borosilicate flasks.

if you don't have a high quality borosilicate flask, alternatively you can place a towel in the fridge and the flask on top of that, with sanitized foil over top of course, and cool it the long way. The small volume shouldn't take too long to cool. Swirl it from time to time to help.

I boil the wort in a small pot and cool it in an ice bath in the sink. Transfer after it's cooled.

Don't know if my flask can handle the shock or not, I've never tried. I like not worrying about it.

I boil the wort in a small pot and cool it in an ice bath in the sink. Transfer after it's cooled.

Don't know if my flask can handle the shock or not, I've never tried. I like not worrying about it.

that's what I do, too.

Back