Books to read

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What three books would you recommend to a brewer that is looking to start brewing in about two months.

1. How To Brew, 4e by John Palmer
Read chapter one to get started with extract+steep brewing; read chapters 2 - 8 while the first batch is fermenting.

2. Simple Homebrewing by Denny Conn & Drew Beechum.

3. Experimental Homebrewing by Denny Conn & Drew Beechum
- or -
3. Methods of Modern Homebrewing by Chris Colby

Read chapter one to get started with extract+steep brewing; read chapters 2 - 8 while the first batch is fermenting.
How to Brew. That's really all you need to get started. I also think it's comforting to have a book of successful recipes, so I'd also recommend Brewing Classic Styles.
How to Brew, 4th ed., without a doubt.

You don't need anything else right now. Well, HomeBrewTalk...

^ agreed...if you need one more, I started w Charlie papazians home brewers bible.

What three books would you recommend to a brewer that is looking to start brewing in about two months.
This is probably the smartest question I've ever seen from an aspiring or beginning homebrewer!

Welcome to the club and what may become your largest obsession.

I agree with How To Brew and Brewing Classic Styles. That way you don't get buried in too much info before you really have a grasp on what you process will entail. Once you get your process down and get a few batches under your belt, you can move on to more specific titles like New Brewing Lager Beer or the Brewing Elements series that cover malt, yeast, hops and water, each with its own dedicated book.

I'll also recommend the Classic Beer Styles Series from Brewer's Publications. Reading the book on, say, Pale Ale, will give you a good idea of what you're shooting for and how to get there.

This is probably the smartest question I've ever seen from an aspiring or beginning homebrewer!

Welcome to the club and what may become your largest obsession.
Thanks for the comment! I just want to abosorb good information before I start to brew. Thanks for your input.

I agree with How To Brew and Brewing Classic Styles. That way you don't get buried in too much info before you really have a grasp on what you process will entail. Once you get your process down and get a few batches under your belt, you can move on to more specific titles like New Brewing Lager Beer or the Brewing Elements series that cover malt, yeast, hops and water, each with its own dedicated book.

I'll also recommend the Classic Beer Styles Series from Brewer's Publications. Reading the book on, say, Pale Ale, will give you a good idea of what you're shooting for and how to get there.
Awesome thanks! I look forward to reading the brewing elements series as my first few brews go through fermentation.

How to Brew. That's really all you need to get started. I also think it's comforting to have a book of successful recipes, so I'd also recommend Brewing Classic Styles.
Wonderful thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

2. Simple Homebrewing by Denny Conn & Drew Beechum.

3. Experimental Homebrewing by Denny Conn & Drew Beechum
- or -
3. Methods of Modern Homebrewing by Chris Colby
Thanks for the thorough list. Appreciate this!

the Brewing Elements series

I look forward to reading the brewing elements series

I'll offer "Mastering Homebrew" and "Radical Brewing" (Randy Mosher) as a "right side of the brain" approach to learning more about ingredients. It's a nice counter balance to the Brewing Elements series approach (more "left side of the brain", science-y, analyze the parts in details to understand the whole).

I'll offer "Mastering Homebrew" and "Radical Brewing" (Randy Mosher) as a "right side of the brain" approach to learning more about ingredients. It's a nice counter balance to the Brewing Elements series approach (more "left side of the brain", science-y, analyze the parts in details to understand the whole).
Ok cool thanks for that input

Latest posts

Back