Beer with pop carbonation feel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybob

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm not sure the best location to post this question exactly, but here goes...

The other evening I was enjoying some tastey homebrews (Belgian Whit and an Amber), when it occurred to me that my beers seem to have a mouth feel in line with a pop in terms of carbonation and bubbles etc. The beers themselves taste pretty good, but it's not smooth as you'd (I'd) expect from a store brand or a tap from a bar.

Does anyone have experience with this that may be able to help smoothen my carbonation? After 2 weeks of fermentation in the primary, I bottle using 5oz of corn sugar with a cup of water that has been boiled to the sugar water. The water/sugar mix I poured into the bottling bucket and then the wort is siphoned into the bottling bucket. I then let the bottles sit for at least a week before I try one. It's typically 2 weeks until I actually put a 6-pack or so maintained in the fridge.

Thanks for any advice,
Crazybob

Edit: This week was the Belgian's 1 1/2 mark in the bottle. The Amber has been in the bottle for 5-6 weeks.

If it's "spritzy", it could be one of two things. Either it's a bit young, and the carbonation hasn't fully absorbed into the beer (and gives a carbonic acid bite), or it's simply overcarbed.

One thing to try for the next batch is to try using 4 ounces (by weight) of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch and that might fix it right away.

Cool, thanks for the pointer Yooper. I'm brewing this weekend (hopefully) so I will keep that in mind when it comes bottling day.

Back