Yeast recommendation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
Hi guys,I want to start strong Cherry Mocha Stout 20 litres with original gravity 1085-1090.Unfortunately can not buy liquid yeas in my town.My options are SAFALE US 05, SAFALE 04 and SAFBREW S-33.What yeast would you guys recommend and what amount?Thank you for your time.
Morgan's Master Roasted malt
Black rock miners stout kit plus brown sugar,cherries and dark chocolate 150 g
This is my very simple resepie.
Thank you.

US-05 has better flocculation and a cleaner ferment, US-04 will leave more of a malty (slightly yeasty) english character. I haven't used S-33. For that beer I would probably pick US-04.

Agreed. S-04 with good temperature control between 60-64F, or US-05 between 60-73F (never used S-33). Either yeast should work well but the S-04 (fruity characteristics) might meld better with the cherry mocha stout.

2 dry packs of whichever you choose.

I found a recipe that uses US-04, here.

You should make a 2L starter with one packet, at minimum. Look at brewersfriend.com and the notes at the bottom.

US-05 has better flocculation and a cleaner ferment, US-04 will leave more of a malty (slightly yeasty) english character. I haven't used S-33. For that beer I would probably pick US-04.

I think you meant attenuation rather than flocculation. SO4 is known to drop clear quickly, with a tight yeast cake, whereas SO5 is slower to clear

I think either are good choices for OP's beer. The question is do you want malty/fruity or cleaner/more fully attenuated? If the former, then SO4. If the later, then SO5

I think you meant attenuation rather than flocculation. SO4 is known to drop clear quickly, with a tight yeast cake, whereas SO5 is slower to clear

I think either are good choices for OP's beer. The question is do you want malty/fruity or cleaner/more fully attenuated? I the former, then SO4. If the later, then SO5

My experience with flocc is what I described, but there are always so many variables. A true attenuation description though.

safale 04 is my current fave go to yeast. fast starter, fast finisher with a super clear beer.

My experience with flocc is what I described, but there are always so many variables. A true attenuation description though.

Really? That is curious. I have never heard of, let alone experienced, Chico dropping better than Whitbread. What do you attribute it to?

1MadScientist said:
I found a recipe that uses US-04, here.

You should make a 2L starter with one packet, at minimum. Look at brewersfriend.com and the notes at the bottom.

Hmm two packets dry yeast with no starter should be okay for 5 gallons 1.080 wort. One packet is sufficient for 1.040 wort, I'm sure.

Don't make a starter with dry yeast. The walls of dry yeast cells are not like those of liquid yeast until they have a chance to rebuild them (best done in warm tap water). You lose nearly half the dry cells when you pitch them into starter wort.

If the OG is over 1.060, simply rehydrate and pitch two packets. S-04 would be a good choice for this batch.

Sorry guys one more not yeast question.Better to add chocolate along with cherries to secondary or chocolate to primary and cherries to secondary ?Im going for rich choco and cherries flavour but I don't want an overkill.Thanx!

Back