Belgian IPA hops ideas/schedules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krid

Reaction score
Howdy.

Wanted to throw down a Belgian IPA and was looking for hopping ideas. I was going to try and keep it belgian with something along the lines of Styrian Goldings for bittering, Tettnang for flavor and Saaz at flameout. But I've read that Citra works and plays well with belgian yeast in the context of an IPA...

Any comments/insights are greatly appreciated.

Bump....

I also have the same question and planned on doing something along the lines of using hops that are traditionally belgian. Have you tried anything yet? How'd it turn out?

I just tapped a citra Belgian IPA. It was an attempt to clone bedlam IPA made ale asylum in Madison wi. The over ripe tropical fruit flavor pairs extremely well with the spicy Belgian yeast flavors. In my opinion, the spicy Belgian yeasts will be better than the fruity ones. I cultured yeast from their bottles but I suspect is is the Ardennes strain. I will ferment a bit warmer next time to bring out more of the spicy phenolics. I am also thinking of trying the French saison yeast as I found that it has a nice peppery spice that I think will go well with the citra. Use a clean hop for bittering and citra for late flavor and aroma. Don't forget the dry hop!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is a link to a Belgian IPA. It should at least give you some ideas.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-belgian-ipa/

This link is one that I started trying to produce a Hommel Ale Clone. Hommel Ale is brewed in Belgium and is pretty hoppy by Belgian standards. I would say the hop flavor of Hommel Ale is similar to an American Pale Ale compared to an American IPA. Of course using continental hops. I'm getting ready to brew my attempt next week.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hommel-ale-recipe-467134/

Back