Mash tun help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabron99

"Torcedor"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Found these yesterday. Each holds about 5 gallons. Bottom drain, all stainless, about 1 and 1/2 inches of insulation. Thinking about a false bottom for a mash tun. Problem is the openings are only about 5 inches. Any suggestions?

ForumRunner_20130529_112759.jpg

Personally I would cut the top off. It would be a real PITA to clean out all the grain with 5 inch opening. Good find though

5" opening? No problem. Turn it over and dump out what you can. The rest you can spray out with the hose. 5g is pretty small though.

Still need ideas on a false bottom for these guys. Would have to be hinged, maybe twice.

What's the bottom drain look like? guessing it's sanitary, flush with the bottom of the vessel? I see a side drain in the pics, I think. Perhaps you can remove that, install a threaded bulkhead and then drop braid down in there. The bottom drain is mostly handy for cleaning. It means you can clean in place because your water can drain fully without tipping the vessel.

Back