Cider yeast, making starters from a smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
Ok, a few people have pointed me in the direction, that for their beer, they will take a smack pack, create a huge starter for it, then split that into pint jars for future beers.

So here is the question with Cider. My last 5.5g batch, I used a Wyeast Cider smack pack, it worked fantastic, and I ended up with 10.35% cider.

I would like to try the above approach with this cider. I know that most store bought 100% Apple Juice, is in the 1040 - 1050 range right out of the bottle. Would it be possible to take 2L of this apple juice, dump the yeast in, and put it on a stir plate for 24 - 48 hrs, then split this into 3 pint size starters?

According to YeastCalc for a normal smack pack on a stir plate, it should generate about 280 billion cells, give or take a few. So let's say I end up around 370 billion. Then dump this into 3 jars, and end up with 123 billion in each jar.

Just curious if anyone has tried this. That WYeast Cider smack pack, easily ripped through my 5.5g with no starter.

Well since no one has responded to this, I guess I'll just have to run this experiment :D

Next week I'll go buy a smack pack, and do a 2L starter for 24 - 48 hrs, then pour it into 3 pint jars and see what happens.

There was a thread in the cider forum a while back about pitching rates. I believe they were saying cider didn't need as much yeast as beer. So I'm not do sure you would need a starter.

There was a thread in the cider forum a while back about pitching rates. I believe they were saying cider didn't need as much yeast as beer. So I'm not do sure you would need a starter.

You are missing what I'm saying here :)

What I'm saying is, I want to take ONE smack pack, and turn that into 3 - 4 starters.

I've done it numerous times. I use Wyeast 1028 ale yeast, but it's not much different than wort/beer.

Works fine.

MC

Did you do it like I mentioned above then with 2L of apple juice?

And btw, I like your username :)

jflongo said:
You are missing what I'm saying here :)

What I'm saying is, I want to take ONE smack pack, and turn that into 3 - 4 starters.

Ok gotcha.

Did you do it like I mentioned above then with 2L of apple juice?

And btw, I like your username :)

Thanks.

Yes, I used 2L of apple juice with yeast, on the stir-plate, and let it get ready until ready to pitch. Use part of it, and ferment out the rest, eventually I put it in vials. Have a read at my process.

MC

Thanks.

Yes, I used 2L of apple juice with yeast, on the stir-plate, and let it get ready until ready to pitch. Use part of it, and ferment out the rest, eventually I put it in vials. Have a read at my process.

MC

I certainly like the way you did it, but don't have any vials. I was just thinking of doing 2L of apple juice, plus the liquid cider yeast, plus a tsp of nutrient, then let it go on the stir plate for 24 - 36 hrs. Then pour this into 3 or 4 pint size jars and put them in the fridge. Then when I go to make my next batch, pull one out, let it warm up, decant it, swirl it around, and pitch it.

How does that sound?

I certainly like the way you did it, but don't have any vials. I was just thinking of doing 2L of apple juice, plus the liquid cider yeast, plus a tsp of nutrient, then let it go on the stir plate for 24 - 36 hrs. Then pour this into 3 or 4 pint size jars and put them in the fridge. Then when I go to make my next batch, pull one out, let it warm up, decant it, swirl it around, and pitch it.

How does that sound?

If you go that route, let the yeast completely ferment out before putting in jars, otherwise the lids will pop from the pressure, and you'll have stopped the growth of the yeast within its life cycle. Make sure to use air tight jars, and to sanitize them properly.

MC

If you go that route, let the yeast completely ferment out before putting in jars, otherwise the lids will pop from the pressure, and you'll have stopped the growth of the yeast within its life cycle. Make sure to use air tight jars, and to sanitize them properly.

MC

If I put them in pint size jars in the fridge at around 38 - 40 degrees, do you think they will still ferment and create pressure?

Absolutely. I have to tape my vials with tape to prevent them from popping, and that's even after fermenting out, up to 3-4 weeks.

MC

So you are saying, you let them ferment out, put them in a cold fridge, and they still create a ton of pressure? wow.

Back