1 Gal Cider on wheat ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dand

Reaction score
I am still quite green to the whole brewing game, so i thought i would run a thought i had by you guys before i tried it, see what kind of tips i can get before i start.

I have a 1 gallon BrooklynBrewhouse summer wheat kit that i am about to bottle, and reading through the cider thread i want to try making some cider with the yeast cake from the wheat beer.

I am thinking about trying this quicker method rather then back sweetening for my first try so i can get some quicker results.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/my-unique-cider-technique-411838/

While reading some of the other forums it seems that overpitching is a bad thing, that having too much yeast to start with is a bad thing that can cause some off flavours in beer, but is there the same concern for cider?
Should i abandon the 5-6 day idea and just let it go and backsweeten?

Any other tips are also appreciated as this will be my first attempt at cider.

I've successfully used a cake six times. Honestly, it seemed to get better after the second batch. Number seven is still in secondary, so we'll see soon about that one. I'm not sure if every type of yeast will perform like that though.
My main concern with the five day method is the amount of sediment you'll have in the bottle. If you're drinking it immediately, it won't be a problem, you'll just have cloudy cider with lots of yeast in it. It won't be sparkling clear, and it may give you a little gas, but yeast is good for you, right? The quickest batch I've done was two weeks. One week in primary and one in secondary. This is with a high flocculating yeast, so it only took a week to settle out, leaving the cider crystal clear. Obviously five days has been done before, and he liked the results. Try it, but when it's finished start a new batch and try to let it go a week in primary and at least a week in secondary. It's all about building up enough 'drinkable now' cider to give you the patience to let batches go longer for smoother, more finished product :) I tend to do a couple low gravity/abv batches to get me through while the higher gravity batches age.

Back