"Boiled Soup Bone Fat" On Secondary Surface- Pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squaregrouper

Reaction score
I have a Dubbel to which I boiled some plums and added to secondary. It has been in secondary for a month and gravity has been stable for 3 weeks; last checked one week ago. I started to bottle and when I got near the end, I removed the lid...
I now have clumps that look exactly like the thin white globs of fat seen on the surface of cooled chicken or beef stock- they even break apart the same way. It doesn't look like any pellicle I have seen- I have seen photos of pellicles with this, but not this by itself.
Thoughts?

You cannot identify an infection by the pellicle.I brew a lot of brett and sour beers and each pellicle is unique. Some will claim that if it looks like ice packs it is lacto. I have seen brett start out like that too. So yes you have in infection,but there is no way to know what is is.

Thanks for responding.
The gravity hasn't dropped below the same 1.010 it was three weeks ago. I thought lacto was quick to ferment and the gravity would have dropped at least a point or two in three weeks.
I'm hoping it is a Brett strain and not Lacto, Pedio, etc. A Dubbel with Brett could actually be a good thing.
The good news is they are in swing top bottles, so I can check for excess pressure before I head to bottlebomb land.

PS- I have been brewing AG for 3 years and have placed in several homebrew competitions (no best in show yet). I didn't know where to post this, so it went in this category.

Latest posts

Back