Boil off question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTomMorrow

Reaction score
Hi - I am still very new, and so I added too much water during my mash for temperature control and I have roughly .75 excess gallons of water.

My plan is to first boil off that .75 gallons, and then proceed with my boil as planned. I have a lot of hops to be added during the boil, so I was reading it would be better to boil off the excess first.

Just curious if there's any additional risks? Am I potentially ruining my batch? I'm committed at this point, just curious to get feedback.

Thanks,

3/4 of a gallon really isn't all that much. The "lots of hops" will suck up an amount of wort. Wort is lost in tubing. The type of vigorous boil adds to the equation. The amount of humidity or lack of humidity in the air adds to the equation. This is what is meant by "dial in the recipe for the equipment".

If really concerned take a hydro reading before doing the boil. Is the hydro reading, adjusted for the hydrometer, higher or lower than expected?

A simpler answer: Your plan is sound. Boil off the excess required to reach the target starting boil volume, then proceed as if that was the 60 minute mark, and add hops according to the recipe.

What if you just ignore that extra .75 gallon and proceed as if it wasn't there to begin with. It will lower the ABV slightly and get you slightly more beer to bottle.

Back