Blue-ish/ white patina inside stainless parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed this weird patina on the inside of some stainless steel parts in my jockey box. Specifically in the shank that connects the beer line. When I last used it, I ran a cycle of beer line cleaner through all components, including the one in question. Afterwards, I ran regular water to flush, and then Star San as a final cycle to sanitize. I let everything dry, but I did leave the beer line connected to the shank. The most star san that would still be sitting in the line would only be a few drops, as I pushed out the majority with my hand pump, essentially pumping air through the lines, as I know leaving star san in tubing can be damaging over time. I am assuming that a small amount of star san was left in the shank, as it only looks patina-ed on the bottom half.

Couple questions:

1. Does this blue-ish/ white patina look like it was from the Star San/ has anyone else experienced this?

2. Is it safe to continue to use it?

3. If not, is there a good way to clean it out? I can only assume there is some in the stainless coil on the inside, so a wire brush isn't going to be possible. Would PBW or BLC clear it out?

IMG_1534.jpeg
IMG_1535.jpeg

Any recommendations on cleaning this with something I can run through the lines? I bet it is also on the inside of the SS coil in the box as well.

well That doesnt appear to be stainless. The coating looks like zinc to me. probably coated brass and its starting to corrode inside. it wont hurt anything...up until more recently most beer tap fittings and shanks where made of chrome plated bress.

Looks like you are right about the brass, I just looked up the part online and it is indeed coated brass. So you think it is safe to keep running it?

Looks like you are right about the brass, I just looked up the part online and it is indeed coated brass. So you think it is safe to keep running it?
safe-yes but it will turn black with the light coating.. you can swap it out if you become concerned about it but like I said theres a lot of bars around the world running old brass fittings for beer...

Back