Blonde Ale with Mint Recipe - Will It Work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltic Brews

Reaction score
I'm about to start my second brew, and my wife really wants to try creating a light summery ale that has light caramel, citrus, and mint flavors.

To make this happen, I thought that a blonde ale would work quite well, using Cascade and Citra for the citrus flavors, and adding a bit of caramel malt for additional sweetness, caramel taste.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

https://imgur.com/a/ZbvSk9Y

On that recipe, I was planning on adding boiling water to some mint to get a stronger flavor and adding some (cooled off) during bottling.

This is my first recipe that I'm sort of putting together on my own, so if I'm messing something up or if anything just doesn't make sense, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, if you have any suggestions on what you'd change or add, would love to hear them as well.

For instance, do you think using Crystal is a good idea for adding caramel/toffee flavors? Or would you add something else instead? Also, do the hop additions make sense?

I'm no expert by any means, but I've done a lot of research into adjuncts.
Firstly, I added brown sugar to my last brew, and it gave it a very nice molasses flavor without being too sweet. Maybe when you use priming sugar at bottling?
Also, have you thought about using a tincture instead of boiling? I've seen that boiling them can get bad reactions. I would either lower the heat or try a different method.
Using alcohol with the washed mint leaves and maybe even organic lemon/lime zest, strain, and toss in.
The small amount of alcohol shouldn't do anything to your ABV and it can pull a lot of flavor safely.

Thanks for the answer! What do you think about using mint syrup when bottling instead of priming sugar? Could that work for a hint of minty flavor?

I'm about to start my second brew, and my wife really wants to try creating a light summery ale that has light caramel, citrus, and mint flavors.

To make this happen, I thought that a blonde ale would work quite well, using Cascade and Citra for the citrus flavors, and adding a bit of caramel malt for additional sweetness, caramel taste.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

On that recipe, I was planning on adding boiling water to some mint to get a stronger flavor and adding some (cooled off) during bottling.

This is my first recipe that I'm sort of putting together on my own, so if I'm messing something up or if anything just doesn't make sense, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, if you have any suggestions on what you'd change or add, would love to hear them as well.

For instance, do you think using Crystal is a good idea for adding caramel/toffee flavors? Or would you add something else instead? Also, do the hop additions make sense?

Usually when I think of adding flavors to beers I think about what food or drink has the same flavor profile or the ingredients I plan to use. I can’t really think of a caramel and mint flavored item at all. Also, I personally hate crystal Malts in any thing other than stouts.

What about a mint and lime blonde, like a mojito themed beer. Especially because you want it as a summer beer. Or even a Kolsch so the yeast will leave it a bit tart

Anyway, if you use mint, don’t boil it in water to add It. That will dilute the beer when you add it and boil off precious flavor compounds. If you’re going add it there are 3 better options. Add it at 150*f as the beer is cools. Make a tincture with it and high proof vodka. Or just dice it really fine and add it as a dryhop.

Last edited:
Back