What's this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog429

Reaction score
Ok, I looked in the infection thread and couldn't find something that resembled this stuff on the top of my California Common I kegged today. Anyone know if it's an infection? I tasted the beer and it was great so I'm still gonna drink it. Just wanting to know for next time.

image-615934727.jpg

image-334512927.jpg

Cyclman said:
Looks like yeast and hops to me, I think you have no worries.

Thanks Cyclman. It tasted really good. I have it kegged right now. I'm following this procedure

30 psi for 36 hours then purging and resetting at 10-12 for a week. It's my first time kegging and I have to say I'm not missing bottles.

Been brewing for over 20 years, my fermentations take on many different surface characteristics. I use lots of different yeast strains, aeration times based on when the foam will overflow the bucket, etc. Always with good results. Looks like yeast remnants or something from dry hopping. If it tastes good to you and smells right, you did the right thing.

I keg at 40 for a day, 30 for a day, 20 for a day, 10 for a few days until mouthfeel is good.

Good luck!

marty1776 said:
Been brewing for over 20 years, my fermentations take on many different surface characteristics. I use lots of different yeast strains, aeration times based on when the foam will overflow the bucket, etc. Always with good results. Looks like yeast remnants or something from dry hopping. If it tastes good to you and smells right, you did the right thing.

I keg at 40 for a day, 30 for a day, 20 for a day, 10 for a few days until mouthfeel is good.

Good luck!

Thanks Marty. Ill try your kegging procedure next batch. I'm new to kegging so I'm willing to try everything to see what works best for me.

Because the sample I had tasted so good I'm wanting to drink it now. Don't know how long I can wait. Lol

48 hours at 30 psi works for me at ~39F. Although if you are patient and just set it and forget it for 2 weeks it almost always pays off.

Try lots of different carb methods. Find out what you like. To me, I feel like some schedules produce a more harsh or a more smooth carbonation mouthfeel if that makes any sense. To me, slower is better. Setting at 12 for a month would be great, but I can't wait that long.

Back